Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)

J D /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Was hoping that ID'ing the coil ends would present a more robust solution. Think I'll follow the recommendation on AC/DC LEDs. More wires makes more opportunities for trouble later. Also takes up more room/cramped. Not sure what all the Vapor does but seems like a lot of effort for an accessory. But you've got it so go for it. Biggest problem for me would be figuring out how to isolate all the light sockets once I had a DC and GND line run to each since I'm using stock fixtures and sockets, otherwise they would still see the AC ground through their connection to the chassis. May be super simple but I think it will be self regulated/rectified bulbs for me.

WRT voltages and such, I don't think that it would be "half" the voltage (as in volts) but half the frequency. Not 100% on magnetos but (seems like) freq is likely dependant on engine speed so more flicker at idle. It didn't look like the coil can center tapped so you get what you get as far as output voltage goes. I ran a sim in one of those online circuit sims and it seemed like it would be a (relatively) fast cycle, even at idle speeds. That's just a sim though, not real world. Even if the rest of the world didn't notice, I'd know. Probably wear out lights faster as well, but just another (slightly) educated guess on my part. You basically already have a 1/2 wave with just the LED but they are more sensitive to voltage fluctuation than a regular silicone switching diode.

**Edit: I also ran a sim with a full wave rectifier and it kept failing with an over current/short in the diode bridge.

I think that using a 1/2 wave rectifier, maybe an in-line diode, you'd still probably want a regulator. Like you said, stuff is complicated, but putting the negative AC on ground would create some additional problems as now your ground and rectified voltages are constantly at varying differences in potential. Not sure how much a regulator would do to help with that but at least it's a measure that could be implemented. Then again, that could be 100 incorrect. Just thinking it out in my head. Maybe some additional noise from the ignition since it is on the same ground? Now I'm just throwing out random stuff.

The .PDF that I posted the link for (second link) is for installation of the Trail Tech voltage rectifier/reg on a bike. The instructions weren't very verbose but then again, maybe they figure it just works without explaining all the theory behind it.

Hope that your solution works out for you. Good Luck and post some more pics once you've got it put together! (edited)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Topic by: French Moby French Moby 05/14/19 11:56PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Aaron Blair Aaron Blair 05/15/19 12:12AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 01:23AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Aaron Blair Aaron Blair 05/15/19 12:54AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 02:13AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 02:27AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Aaron Blair Aaron Blair 05/15/19 04:39AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 04:15PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 05/15/19 04:57PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 06:05PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 05/15/19 09:06PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 10:50PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 05/15/19 11:05PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 11:08PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/15/19 09:57PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/16/19 12:35AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: J D J D 05/16/19 08:30PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/16/19 08:55PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: J D J D 05/16/19 08:55PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: J D J D 05/16/19 08:55PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/17/19 01:40PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/17/19 01:12AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/17/19 01:26AM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: J D J D 05/17/19 10:41PM
  Re: Moby Wiring (CDI, LED, Recftifier)Re: French Moby French Moby 05/21/19 06:12PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account