trying to figure out which cable powers the lights , keep getting very dim headL

Anthony Vargas /

sorry for the extra light but was working at night , so ive been trying to figure out why my headlight is super dim and i think it might be the way the bike was wired prior to me getting it, now as the new owner i wanted to get the headlights working properly. i would love to get the lights to be on high beams but i cant figure out which wire controls the high beam, i followed the wiring diagram for the 2002-2007 which i have attached. i just cant seem to figure this out and was wondering if anyone here knows the quickest way to just get the lights to work , i took out the horn and turn signals.

IMG_1232.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg
977835BC-2545-4C7A-8562-5E1BC8BB3FA3-6596-000004B96297868D.jpg

Re: trying to figure out which cable powers the lights , keep getting very dim headL

Are you sure someone didn't switch the headlight bulb for the wrong one?

Re: trying to figure out which cable powers the lights , keep getting very dim headL

Anthony Vargas /

Yeap the headlight bulb was replaced with the correct one on treatland, at high rpms the bulb brightens up but doesn’t get bright where I can see so I end up using a battery powered headlight for the time being , would be great to get the headlight to brighten up

Have you traced the ground from the socket backwards? Clean every connection? Check the headlight switch for solid contact.

A lot of times a person will shine up the bulb contacts and forget the ground.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

yeah your ground is probably going all the way through the frame before it gets to the headlight I would reroute the ground wire to the headlight bracket aside from that are you sure you didn't get your low beam and high beam terminal switched

Anthony Vargas /

i might have to check which cable line is for the high beams , i know for a fact that the cable thats supplying the power to the bulb is yellow , and in this case its connected directly to the stator but also connected to the regulator. looks like i have the wrong cable connected to the headlight , and the headlight also came with its own ground cable aswell ill use that and see if that helps as well , will check tomorrow and get back to you guys ,

Anthony Vargas /

ok so today i managed to get my rear lights to work and boy are they bright ! at medium to high rpm , and i managed to hook up a trail tech vapor without any issues , now as for the headlight i traced every connection and seems like im still getting dim lighting. i previously had the yellow cable (magneto to regulator to light) to the dim light on the headlight which was so wrong lol , based on the diagram for the targa with turn signals it showed that the white cable was for the dim lights and blue for high beams and brown being the ground , all those are now in place but still having dim lights but now all my switches work. only weird thing is that when i switch the turn signals on all my lights cut off even for the vapor. im lost now ?? possibly a bad ground somewhere but where lol i have 2 ground cables that are not connected thats located at the front end harness where the switches are

IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1272.jpg

Anthony Vargas /

LOL so i think i completely derped on my headlights .... turns out i had my ground hooked up to the second filament and my high beam to the ground .... LMAO ill be testing this out later on to see if that was my problem which in this case it might just be

Anthony Vargas /

i would like to say that i have fixed my issue lol headlights are bright but still want it brighter so might use a 1157 bulb and see if that works . i completely derped on the electrical side of mopeds and forgotten the most simplest things . thanks for everyones help !

Brighter ? Halogen . LED for the brightest .

Anthony Vargas /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Brighter ? Halogen . LED for the brightest .

thats what im actually looking at right now and how to properly set it up , not rushing though since i have my lights properly working now , i would like to get some laptop batterys and use that to power my LED's but i need a led relay aswell properly get a novita

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah those GM tractor bulbs are awesome their wide-angle though a cop May hassle you but you might want to look into the square Tomas headlight because that's like a 55 watt it also will help you out because if you turn everything into LED your freaking voltage regulator is going to melt or your Flyers are going to melt and things are going to start getting hot and when it rains you'll know why

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account