Simple paints for QT50 resto.

Louis Brunskill /

I just wanted to post what I used for paint on my 1980 Red QT50. It's REAL REAL close to the corect colors for the bike... hope this help people. I used krylon gloss clear over the red and silver. But not on the gray for the cables.

20190501_195547.jpg
20190501_195559.jpg
20190501_195619.jpg

Re: Simple paints for QT50 resto.

Louis Brunskill /

Last picture is "winter gray" used on the cables. holding on great too! Cleaned them good with acetone first..

Louis Brunskill /

Here's a few pix..

20190216_144452.jpg
20181229_191522.jpg
20181231_165738.jpg

Louis Brunskill /

I used Oxcalic acid on all the chrome. Soaked it in the laundry tub for a few hrs. Bout 6oz to a 1/2 a tub of water. Chrome looks great! Leaves any rust.. back to raw steal that's whiteish silver .. ready for wax. .. blends right in and looks good. Well good enough for not costing like new chrome does.

Louis Brunskill /

Pix are good... hope they inspire ..

20181229_195237.jpg
20181231_175924.jpg
20181229_204659.jpg

Rob LaFreniere /

Awesome, thanks Louis

Definitely turned out nice . ;)

Get a set of correct decals and you got a winner for sure!!!

Louis Brunskill /

I'm seeing re pop decals out there. Just bring myself to buy them.. too busy enjoying it. Ha it's done...

That looks really great

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Nice looking bike! Only thing I would add is to use a 2-part clear coat to give it fuel resistance like a 2k clearcoat.

2k clear.png

Louis Brunskill /

Nice clear coat forsure, and don't need a spray gun!. I'm looking in to it for the Tank on my Kawasaki bobber~ Saw it in a different brand for like 30 a can. Is that bout what this version cost? and where?

What did you use for the harness grommets in the frame?. All 3 of my QTs need them and it bugs me

Louis Brunskill /

I split a 1.5 inch rubber grommet that I found on Ebay. Stock ones are white plastic. But its better than nothing. I put the seam on the bottom to hide it. The 1.5 is just a bit big so its trimmed to fill the hole.

Louis Brunskill /

A few different shots...

20190426_181947.jpg
20181231_220841.jpg
20181229_233514.jpg

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Yup - I bought it off of Amazon. Searched 2k clear and there is was, just know that you need to be ready to paint everything at the same time with it as it's only good for 48hrs once mixed.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

This may come in handy, I just got myself a Yamaha champ in red!

3D print from shapeway. Frame grommets

gromets group.jpg
100_1966.JPG

So are these 3-D printed grommets available to purchase? I need 6 of them.

Sure I'm not trying to sell them for $, but I'll set it up on Shapways so you can order directly from them if you would like. I'll post the link here in a bit.

I did find the grommets on Shapeways website . I think if someone had a non-broken complete battery box as a pattern for a QT 50 it would be an easily saleable product. I know I'd get a couple of them.

Looks good!

Oxalic acid is one of the secrets I keep to cleaning metals.

Works good on rusty tanks too.

Sold as wood bleach.

Sorry I didn't post it got busy IRL. You will need to split the grommets with a razor. Place it flat side down and push the razor down in the V groove. I could look into making a battery box. Did you get the Platinum set for $16000? LOL

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q4R4LMFUH/yamaha-qt50-oem-reproduction-grommets?optionId=103499465&li=marketplace

Arlie- just got the grommets today and installed them. They are Nice, Nice, Nice!!!! The white plastic looks like the originals and I didn't get the big dollar platinum. When I find a yellow QT to complete my set I'll consider the platinum ones.

For about half a second.

I'm serious about battery boxes. You know they're unavailable from Yamaha and non-broken used ones hardly ever show up for sale.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account