Puch Maxi Alloy Wheels Hub Removal

Paul Archibald /

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to remove the hub from the front and rear alloy wheels of my Puch Maxi? I’m doing this so I can get the wheels powder coated. I’ve removed the six Allen bolts and tentatively given the centre hub a whack with a rubber coated hammer and block of wood. Is there anything else other than dirt and old age stopping the hub from separating from the wheel? I don’t have a manual for a Maxi and the manual for the Grand Prix model doesn’t say how to remove the hub. Also, how do I replace the wheel bearings of the back wheel? The front ones are ball bearings but the back ones are sealed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

A595F6B0-19A5-44AD-9E5A-A9CFD4AADB28.jpeg

Re: Puch Maxi Alloy Wheels Hub Removal

From the picture you need to smack the other side. Also cut your backing support blocks so that they only support the spokes right where they join the center hub casting.

Then get a little rougher with your swings. Maybe switch to a steel sledge and block

Paul Archibald /

Hi Cheetahchrome, you’re right, I used a heavier hammer and both hubs came out.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Just slide a screwdriver through the centre hole of one bearing at an angle, so that it touches the inside face of the other bearing, then whack! Turn over and whack the remaining one out.

Paul Archibald /

Thanks for your reply Ryan, my problem was in removing the hub from the wheel as I want to get the wheels powder coated. However, I’ve managed to separate the hub from the wheel now by using a heavier hammer and a bit more force! Thanks for your advice about removing the bearings though, no doubt I’ll be putting it in to practice soon.

Paul

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account