Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Hey guys,

I'm installing my Motobeane motor mounts, way easier than removal. Thing is, I believe I installed them too far in. How do I ultimately determine the perfect depth of the motor mount?? This picture is not my moped, but now much metal sleeve do I want sticking off the sheet metal? Is there a way to test with motor in?

I can eye ball what this picture shows, but is there a technical reason?

motobecanemount.JPG

Thanks

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

just measure the length of your head swing mount w the two special washers. keep in mind it be good to line up the belt.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Jonathan Feldman /

I just fiddle fuck em in n out with the engine mount tool while adding / subtracting random objects on the engine mount bolt .. till i obtain the belt alignment / correct spacing i desire. It's definitely a pain in the ass but it has to be done.. that moby life dawg.

I like to have the skewer a bit on the tighter side than the looser side. When its on the loose end you have to really tighten the poor engine mount nut to squash it all together. That's when you really start to destroy engine mounts.

I like to snug up the engine mount nut then run a second nut on top of it so it cant back off. I really believe that not over tightening the engine mount nut is what prevents the destruction of engine mounts.

Holler.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Jonathan Feldman /

Sorry I got a lil off topic there.

Lemme try again. Your engine mount depth is all dependent on whatever the fuck you're using to space the engine. Washers? Cut wrist pins? Whatever.

No ones motor mount depth will be the same as the next person. If you ever see a big dick clutch pulley build.. a lot of times they'll have that variator side motor mount slammed the FUCK over for correct belt alignment.

Hope that made more sense XOXO

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Jonathan Feldman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry I got a lil off topic there.

>

> Lemme try again. Your engine mount depth is all dependent on whatever

> the fuck you're using to space the engine. Washers? Cut wrist pins?

> Whatever.

>

> No ones motor mount depth will be the same as the next person. If you

> ever see a big dick clutch pulley build.. a lot of times they'll have

> that variator side motor mount slammed the FUCK over for correct belt

> alignment.

>

> Hope that made more sense XOXO

Oh shit "Jonathan Feldman". I was trying to hunt you down when I saw your review on the Moby EBR forks about using Puch brake late. Tried to add u on insta. Ima just get the puch brake plate though, I live in the bay.

I think I get what you mean by skewer. Makes sense. Place the head between the mounts and fuck with it until it feels snug and the belt aligns. Fuck mopeds r a lot of work. Thanks!

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> just measure the length of your head swing mount w the two special

> washers. keep in mind it be good to line up the belt.

Thanks brother,

I have a whole box of parts, but I think I kept all the head shit together. I'll see if I can figure out these special washers. That's what ima do trial and error it looks like!

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

kevin Smellaflange /

old moby tend to be harder on the variator silent bloc.

making sure of motor,, swing on every change is correct. he's right ''no 2 are alike''

pictures before & after helps...plenty of light & a 2nd set of eyeballs.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Yeah, I see the washers y'all are talking about.

I need to find em through the pile of moped parts. I thought I did a much better job bagging everything during disassembly, guess not haha.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Hey guys,

I bought the washer for the head but how is this right??

There's no way the head will be snug to the bushings. Am I missing something?

IMG_0730.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Jonathan Feldman /

> Francois Labat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey guys,

>

> I bought the washer for the head but how is this right??

>

> There's no way the head will be snug to the bushings. Am I missing

> something?

> >

Maybe I'm blowing it in the reading category but it seems like you're asking what goes in between the head insert and the actual motor mount?

If so, you need to stack whatever you have laying around to take up the space. Cut wrist pins .. old washers.. You name it.

IMG_20190524_091347_851.jpg

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Josiah Radebaugh /

Huh.. I just figured there were no spacers so the engine could move and keep the belt straight.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Huh.. I just figured there were no spacers so the engine could move and

> keep the belt straight.

That seems logical to me .

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Alright this is what's going to happen.

The stock parts diagram clearly shows what's involved in terms of hardware. I've seen people post about spacing with washers etc. What I think it comes down to is making sure that at full movement towards the drive pulley, the drive belt lines up with the motor. It's most likely easier to use a couple washers instead of moving the bushing. Problem with that is if somehow the motor decides to go magneto side, the washers will be floating.

I like the idea of forcing the motor in one position, but it looks like the diagram is intending it to have some movement left and right.

I will line up the motor all the way to the drivebelt side, make sure that's good and then tighten it. I hope that the torque value can be obtained that way on the nut. (edited)

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Jonathan Feldman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just fiddle fuck em in n out with the engine mount tool while adding /

> subtracting random objects on the engine mount bolt .. till i obtain the

> belt alignment / correct spacing i desire. It's definitely a pain in the

> ass but it has to be done.. that moby life dawg.

>

> I like to have the skewer a bit on the tighter side than the looser

> side. When its on the loose end you have to really tighten the poor

> engine mount nut to squash it all together. That's when you really start

> to destroy engine mounts.

>

> I like to snug up the engine mount nut then run a second nut on top of

> it so it cant back off. I really believe that not over tightening the

> engine mount nut is what prevents the destruction of engine mounts.

>

> Holler.

Just re-read the thread. Yes, that's what I meant on my latest post about the torque.

If there is nothing on the skewer, you're gonna have to torque the crap out of the mount and since there's no big washer, it's all on the bushing. Shitty design really.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

I think there is something in the wiki about how to do this, look under Rebel Moby.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think there is something in the wiki about how to do this, look under

> Rebel Moby.

I don't see it under rebel moby's wiki.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Ok...it is above Rebel's section, under "M" motor bushing removal, and I think there is something on you tube as well. Sorry for the confusion, not looked at it for a while!

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok...it is above Rebel's section, under "M" motor bushing removal, and I

> think there is something on you tube as well. Sorry for the confusion,

> not looked at it for a while!

This?

https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Motor_mount_bushing_removal

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

I think this might be the post. No sideplay it says.

So I need to add a bunch of washers. Just seems contrary to the moby parts diagram.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Here's a video I found of someone spacing out the motor. I just have a hard time accepting Motobecane didn't come stock with a legitimate spacer.

mobyspace.JPG

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

I'm taking mine out of storage tomorrow, will look at it and see, are you missing parts? I think the belt has to line up, it would eat itself fast if it didn't.

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm taking mine out of storage tomorrow, will look at it and see, are

> you missing parts? I think the belt has to line up, it would eat itself

> fast if it didn't.

I think I need to stop crying, let it go and just space the damn thing like in the picture shown above and suggested by Jonathan.

I have a hard time accepting that I need to use that big of a spacer, using all the stock parts. I think that the stock motobecane has lateral play. From factory it came with a bunch of lateral play and it moves to align itself with the pulley.

I think that in the aftermarket / DIY community people started adding spacers to get the maximum life out of the bushings. That's all I can think of.

If your moby is stock please take a picture. I'm linking an image of stock hardware for the mounting... Exactly what I have.

EDIT: Motheerrrfffff. Is part number 2 the spacer !???? I assumed that was the plastic sleeve from the bushing. Damn I think that's the spacer. That would explain it all.

(edited)

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Turns out I have been assuming part number two is the inner plastic bushing sleeve.

I found another diagram and it's called the spacer... There are 3 spacers. The long one, the tiny one and the tiny one. This explains it all. Sorry guys.

Thanks

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

Its a weird design for sure, don't feel bad. Glad you got it figured out! :)

Re: Motobecane Motor Mount Depth

> Francois Labat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Turns out I have been assuming part number two is the inner plastic

> bushing sleeve.

>

> I found another diagram and it's called the spacer... There are 3

> spacers. The long one, the tiny one and the tiny one. This explains it

> all. Sorry guys.

>

> Thanks

Try emailing Dos. They sent me a couple different sized spacers when I bought my 51 frame.

Once you get your pulleys aligned measure the space between the head mount spacers and motor mounts and see if they have some that match.

They may also have any odds and ends you need for the bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account