Motobecane Headset Nut

Marcel TheShell /

I'm trying to overhaul the headset on my 1979 50V and the bottom nut is beating me. I know it's a 32mm octagon but the shrouding on the fork makes it hard to get a tool in there.

Any pointers?

Re: Motobecane Headset Nut

hey marcel, if u trying to take the forks off u attack from the top, handle bars, triple tree nut, then the two on the tubes then it all slides down. i have a couple orange forks laying around if u need any pieces.

I cut my stock forks off and using EBR now. I know that's a shitty response but it felt so good cutting em off ( a waste but I was not gonna mess splitting em apart).

The headset kit on treats was nice though, installed with the EBR's

kevin Smellaflange /

''Frenchy''...liquid wrench is better than the others,

my point is everyone should try to save antique ''anything'' for posterity.

in this case it would be a front end off of a FRENCH moped...yes they made a million of them.

i would never do that to my 3 just because i had 3 of them. integral tank frames are only going to last for just so long.

> kevin Smellaflange Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ''Frenchy''...liquid wrench is better than the others,

>

> my point is everyone should try to save antique ''anything'' for

> posterity.

>

> in this case it would be a front end off of a FRENCH moped...yes they

> made a million of them.

>

> i would never do that to my 3 just because i had 3 of them. integral

> tank frames are only going to last for just so long.

Hey, I said I felt bad doing it!! lol :)

But you'll be happy to know that I fought to keep the frame. I almost wished I scrapped the frame too. When I was removing all the rust, pin holes kept popping up. I tig welded every pin hole, and then when the frame was so rust free it looked like brand new metal, a couple more came up that I soldered. Then I por 15 the inside and that was a shit show but lets hope it doesn't leak!

Marc Andre de Seve /

Putting my ebr on now but it seems that I have a bit of loose when install em have any tips to make em. Tight maybe I am missing a step

Marcel TheShell /

UPDATE: Bastard nut is off. The thing was properly seized in and I would up procuring a special socket. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-electric-bike-front-fork-wave-plate-bearing-octagonal-nut-Removal-tool-repair-tool-wave-sleeve/32875067289.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4e964c4dG6cF2F

Now to put it all back together...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account