Help drilling out snowflake mags for 12mm axle

Looking for someone in the Bay area with a drill press, I have the 12mm bit! Don't have a big enough drill or trust myself to get it straight.

Have some spare parts to trade for time if interested. Also won't need the bit again if you wanna keep that.

Also if this is in the wrong place.. sorry let me know and I'll delete or whatever :)

Re: Help drilling out snowflake mags for 12mm axle

You're dead on in the right place. I'd take it to a GOOD machine shop. Get it done dead true.

Thanks for the suggestion Don! I'll try that.

Not sure what you're drilling. You should be able to pop out the cups and press/hammer in bearings with 12mm inner dimensions if you're going caged bearing conversion. If you're trying to drill out the cups and use a 12mm axle with accompanying 12mm cones, I dont think it works that way, although I'm sure you could maybe make it work with different size bearings.

But yeah I dont know of anyone drilling out their snowflakes so I'm not sure what you're aiming to do

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think he's just talking about the brake plate.

You can buy a metric drill bit set off of Amazon for like $15. A spear tip bit should center itself pretty ok.

todd amundson /

Have to anneal the cups to drill them or grind the holes out. Then the 12 mm loose bearings won’t roll in 11 mm cups. You need the correct sealed bearings for 12 mm axles in a snowflake. No drilling. Maybe just the brake plate.

Oh yeah, brake plate makes sense. I've definitely just hogged into those with a 12mm bit and you're good. A machine shop could handle it cleanly for less than the cost of the bits if you dont plan on repeating or doubt your skills

Hey all, thanks for the thoughts, haven't had any time to spend on this. but yes just drilling out the brake plates to fit a 12mm axle kit I have from treats, double checked all the right bearings and such. Just don't trust myself to get it centered cleanly by hand. I'd rather have this done right and not worry about it.

The holes already been drilled I don’t think you could mess it up really. I had the same problem my first time with by bit not fitting the chuck but I went to my grandpa’s sand pit and just used the drill press there. I end up buy a drill press from the harbor For a 100 bucks.

If you have a drill that fits the bit, I would say hog that bitch it out. And the axle is a little fatter then 12mm so you might need to file a little bit.(edited)

i just used an old sears drill, worked like a charm. i dont think the tolerances are vital enough to call for a machine shop...but whatever man, you do you...

i also had a stepped reamer that helped to clear the threads...last time i just used a wooden dowel wrapped in sandpaper to cleanerup.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, this is not worth a machinist spending their time.

I have drilled these free hand, drill press, and even have used a small sanding drum in a dremel . The sanding drum was the most forgiving of all, but most time consuming. All options yielded perfectly fine results.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account