> definitely go to the wiring buss block. I completely physically removed

> the taillight to check that ground first. This one is confusing the heck

> out of me. I'm good with electrics usually. It's gotta be a bad ground

> wire or connection somewhere.

>

> I'm tempted to throw a whole different harness with the oval switches

> on, but I like this setup with the square switches. Plus it's a huge

> pain in the ass.

Plastic switch better and different wiring because metal switches are grounded to the handlebars so I don’t recommend you switching to metal it unless it was like that already and if it was metal switches to begin that could be the problem.

Run a ground to the frame where grab rail is, most times there’s a metal piece underneath the wiring but I’ll have to post pictures of my maxis for you to see

All of mine have a ground tab to the frame that look something like this:

1AF0282B-6778-4B04-9D8D-9BAA68B210BC.jpeg

Re: 78 Maxi Tail Light Gremlin

Pretty sure the plastic switches are OG. The bike is a 11/78 model. I know my other maxi has that ground tab you speak of, but this one doesn't. I'm gonna remove and recheck the ground wires that connect at the HT coil. It has to be a bad ground, so I'm going to redo them. It looks like maybe somebody previously put them all to one screw, and eliminated that ground tab you're talking about.

I walked away. I vacationed. I ate trout and bathed in nature. I had sex in the woods. I even hugged a tree.

But I had to come back and face the shitty reality that is my life. And my taillight still doesn't work. I redid all the ground wires. I cut off the old ring terminals and replaced them. All five brown ground wires go directly to bright, shiny engine ground. (1 from speedo light, headlight and horn, 1 from headlight switch, 1 from kill switch, 1 from taillight, and 1 from HT coil) All grounds are freaking good. WTF? The wiring is good. The bulb is good. The coil is good. The grounds are good. What else is there to do? This fries my brain. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Update!

It still doesn't f'ing work. I replaced the yellow headlight coil, just for GP. No change. I disconnected the taillight leads from the wiring block and connected a short pigtail in its place, one positive and one ground. Checked good with a test light. Touched the wires to the corresponding contacts of a known good 5w bulb, and nothing.

Am I on Candid Camera, because I'm cussing and throwing shit, and you're gonna have to bleep a lot. Have fun at my expense!

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Lol. I feel your pain man.

Please look at these pics and tell me if you see anything I may be missing.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have now bypassed the wiring harness and switches, wiring headlight and speedo light direct with different wires, completely temporarily eliminating original wiring, and it still does the same crap. I have added additional temporary ground wires to everything, clipping them everywhere like spaghetti, and nothing. I've changed coils, I've changed bulbs, I've changed wires, I've changed stators, I've changed flywheels, I've bypassed switches. This is impossible. This makes zero sense. I now have it back to factory, no extra bullshit. Ground zero. It still doesn't work and there is no reason for it that I can find.

I read this thread before, but I don’t recall.... is the brake light functioning as normal?

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I read this thread before, but I don’t recall.... is the brake light

> functioning as normal?

Yeah, brake light works great.

What gets me the most is this. If I ground the hot wire of the headlight circuit, the taillight comes on.

The Grey and Yellow coil aren't in contact except through the shared stator bolts right?

I know they both ground through a lead that is soldered to the coil bracket, down those bolts (as opposed to the double-lead Green coil that must be ground through the green/black wire) and it feels like maybe the Yellow coil is robbing the power of the Grey coil. If you removed the Yellow coil and ran it with just the Grey coil on that side I wonder if it would light up.

This A/C magneto shit is wizardry to me when it comes down to specifics of how it works...

at this point id just trade for a maxi with known good working tail light.

Just as a test, i’d like to see what happens if you remove the gray wire to the tail light and add it to the yellow headlight circuit.

I’d think that the headlight would be only slightly dimmer at throttle with the added load, but the tail light should at least light up. Maybe i’m wrong.

Have you tried any testing by applying a batterry to the circuit?

25E49A01-924F-48C1-98AC-75A80793EA76.png

You can use a 9v transistor battery. First verify the bulb and battery are good by placing the bulb directly across the battery terminals.

Put the bulb back in the socket. Remove the gray and the brown wires from the terminal strip that go to the tail light and place them on the battery terminals to test the entire circuit.

Yeah, I've got a six volt battery from my Express II that I used. I tested the wire path, and all is good.

I haven't tried running it off the headlight coil yet. I know I can Jimmy-rig it to work, I just have a fettish for keeping things the way they are supposed to be, especially wiring. I'm anal about correctly wired systems working as they were intended. I have spent hours trying to make this function as it did from the factory. I need to get over it, it's mopeds. It just needs to work.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Just as a test, i’d like to see what happens if you remove the gray wire

> to the tail light and add it to the yellow headlight circuit.

>

> I’d think that the headlight would be only slightly dimmer at throttle

> with the added load, but the tail light should at least light up. Maybe

> i’m wrong.

>

> Have you tried any testing by applying a batterry to the circuit?

> >

Blaine, I connected the grey wire to the yellow headlight terminal like you suggested, and the headlight dims, and the taillight comes on VERY bright, as it should since that is the path of least resistance, since it's coming right off the stator, bypassing the switches that the headlight runs thru and of course it's on all the time that way, but at least it proves the wiring is good to the taillight.

How's that for a run-on sentence.

When checking AC voltage, the grey wire is producing ~12 VAC, with no bulb. The instant the bulb load is applied, voltage drops to zero.

I changed the grey five watt taillight coil out for a green ten watt coil. I grounded the green/black wire and ran the green to the taillight. I changed to a ten watt bulb.

SAME SHIT!

So I put the OG coil back in. Same shit. I bypassed the headlight switch and wiring with different wires right off the wiring block. Good headlight, no taillight.

The only time the taillight comes on is when I ground the headlight coil/circuit! Somebody must have a solution!

What bulb do you have in the headlight?

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> What bulb do you have in the headlight?

Apparrently the wrong fucking one!

I removed the existing, working S1141 bulb that was in it, and put in a 6v 21w bulb from treats, and all my shit works.

You mean to tell me all these hours of killing myself over this thing for a damn headlight bulb?

Mopeds.

By the way, an 1141 bulb is a 12v bulb, comparable to an 1156. No good for 6v systems, duh. I never checked or even suspected it; it worked.

This is great, 80 something posts for a wrong bulb. so fucking mopeds...glad it's working now.lol

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> This is great, 80 something posts for a wrong bulb. so fucking

> mopeds...glad it's working now.lol

Right?! Mopeds are dumb, but I feel retarded after this one.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> This is great, 80 something posts for a wrong bulb. so fucking

> mopeds...glad it's working now.lol

And it's more than 80 something posts, it's also two stators, three taillight coils, two headlight coils, one brake light coil, three flywheels, four taillight bulbs, one headlight bulb, three wiring harnesses, yards of ground wire, -40 hours of hair pulling, 7 grams sugar wax, 2 bottles muscle relaxers, and one bad attitude.

Mopeds.

Ok, so now we’ve found the why, but i’m still having trouble wrapping my head around the how, as in how that made shit screwy it the manner that it did.

I kept wanting to lean towards wrong tail light bulb.

Glad it’s fixed.

Wait, this is odd. I swear i’ve used 1156’s for the headlight before and it didn’t kill the tail light. Maybe it did and i just didn’t notice. i’ll have to investigate.

> Seth B Wrote:

> And it's more than 80 something posts, it's also two stators, three

> taillight coils, two headlight coils, one brake light coil, three

> flywheels, four taillight bulbs, one headlight bulb, three wiring

> harnesses, yards of ground wire, -40 hours of hair pulling, 7 grams

> sugar wax, 2 bottles muscle relaxers, and one bad attitude.

>

> Mopeds.

Good thing you didn't have something else to do . ;)

I don't know, Blaine. I thought maybe I had a bad batch of bulbs from treats, until I swapped headlight bulbs and everything started working. I read that 1141 and 1156 bulbs are close, but different wattage or brightness. Don't know if that's the deal or not. I'm just glad it's finally working right. Like PD said, I didn't have anything better to do. Thanks everyone, for your help and suggestions on this f'er.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account