Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Hi all,

My name is Austin and I'm looking to get my 1984 Puch Maxi to stop dying on me. She starts up nice, idles fine, and rides okay for the first five minutes. After that, I'll be at full throttle and a complete standstill on flat ground. I have yet to clean the carb and exhaust, but I'm assuming that those aren't the source of my problem given that she will run at first. I'm guessing this has something to do with the condenser? Is there a good way to check that that is what's wrong?

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Richard Eberline /

Condenser, gets hot and over loaded with ac voltage. Since you remove the stator,

replace the points. .017 gap

pm me on soddering the condenser.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

^^ what Rocketman said. But Richard, if you have condenser soldering tips, you can share your secret here. ;)

Or just install an external condenser. It's in the wiki.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Overpriced Parts /

> Austin Schilb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all,

>

> My name is Austin and I'm looking to get my 1984 Puch Maxi to stop dying

> on me. She starts up nice, idles fine, and rides okay for the first five

> minutes. After that, I'll be at full throttle and a complete standstill

> on flat ground. I have yet to clean the carb and exhaust, but I'm

> assuming that those aren't the source of my problem given that she will

> run at first. I'm guessing this has something to do with the condenser?

> Is there a good way to check that that is what's wrong?

Clean the carb fuel filter fuel petcock before you even think of the ignition

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

> Austin Schilb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>She starts up nice, idles fine, and rides okay for the first five

> minutes. After that, I'll be at full throttle and a complete standstill

> on flat ground.

======================================================

The way I read this is that the engine is running at full throttle but won't move ... like the chain broke. I must be wrong.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Thanks for the responses everyone. I want to attack this problem at its source, as this project has been a learning experience and I would like to know what I'm fixing when I make adjustments. Rich, would you mind sharing some tips if I were to get the following condenser?

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-moped-condensoer-screw-top-type-p/puch-condenser-screw-top.htm

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

kevin Smellaflange /

at full throttle / 5 min

are you sure it's not soft a seize?

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

It's not a soft seize- the engine runs and will turn the sprocket if the kickstand is down and the rear wheel is suspended in the air. So when I'm on it and I'm applying full throttle the engine is not producing enough power to move me

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

> Austin Schilb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's not a soft seize- the engine runs and will turn the sprocket if the

> kickstand is down and the rear wheel is suspended in the air. So when

> I'm on it and I'm applying full throttle the engine is not producing

> enough power to move me

It can still be a soft seize .

It could also be an electrical component that shorts when heated . (edited)

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

I would like to try to help but I still don't quite understand the problem. Are you saying that you can ride at full throttle for five minutes then the engine starts to slow down all by itself and it doesn't matter how much you manipulate the throttle it won't rev up and so you end up stopped but with the engine still running at an idle?

And, am I to understand that when it cools down you are then able to repeat the same scenario ie: engine runs good then engine slows down and won't accept throttle?

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

Could be that the gas isn’t flowing fast enough due to blockage in the fuel system. So when you start it the bowl is full of gas and slowly runs out as you ride. Cleaning your fuel system is cheap and easy, I’d start there.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

> Derek from black pipes moped gang Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Could be that the gas isn’t flowing fast enough due to blockage in the

> fuel system. So when you start it the bowl is full of gas and slowly

> runs out as you ride. Cleaning your fuel system is cheap and easy, I’d

> start there.

^ This,per Ken Roff's advice also. even if it isn't the problem, it is really good practice.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Loliaten to ken. Sounds like fuel starvation to me too. Before condemning a condenser, it would be wise to actually check for a no spark or weak spark condition when it is failing to run.

My money is on poor fuel flow somewhere between the tank and the carb bowl.

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If it only does it at wide open throttle it might be the horn bypass if somebody monkeyed with the horn circuit does the horn Buzz a little all the time if it does it needs to be bypassed

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

I did notice the horn buzzing erratically. I jumped the two wires going into the horn together with some shrink wrap but I'd like a more permanent repair. Any suggestions on what's causing this? Should I get a new horn?

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

the title screams condenser but the details say otherwise. It's not your condenser or it wouldn't keep running just without power. it sounds like your bike just loses power after several minutes. there's no good reason for it to spontaneously lose power on a time delay except the fuel delivery. vacuum in tank or just too low flow to keep up cuz of crud built up. Bad condenser would give you a time delayed death, but not loss of power. unless it's like cutting out part time, but doesn't sound like it/

Re: Moped Stops Running After 5 min

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Look up puch horn bypass.. In the wiki...^^^^^

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account