Garelli SSXL stalls after riding for 15 minutes

Jason Kofke /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

It's been running great for a while, but I can't seem to fix a problem that seems to be getting slowly worse. Here's what's going on:

Typically it starts right up on the first or second kick. Idles well and runs great for about 5 to 10 minutes, but then it wants to stall if it sits still. I need to give it increasingly more throttle at read lights, clinching down on the breaks, to keep if from stalling. Lately that hasn't been working and it will just cut off dead while rolling down the road at 20-30 mph. The engine sounds great when it first starts, then rides increasingly rougher the longer it runs. After it stalls, sometimes it starts right up again with a kick or engaging the clutch while it's rolling at a good pace after stalling (a bit dangerous in traffic). But after multiple stalls I does not want to start unless I leave it sit for 5-10 minutes then the whole pattern starts again.

What I've done to trouble shoot:

Fule IS getting to the carb. Petcock works, fuel filter looks clean. I run a 50-1 oil/93 octane gas ratio pre-mixed. I added non-D oil to the clutch to the right level because, why not? I super cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air. Reassembled properly and it kicked right up and ran great after a full carb cleaning. I really checked the float bowl and it was very clean. I did notice that my adjustment screw is 5.25 turns out after max tightening - that seems a bit extreme, but it's worked for the past few months since I've had it. I thought to adjust the throttle screw but didn't want to fix this stalling issue that way as it seems to be a work around of a real problem. Finally, I checked the plug and it's just a little on the rich side but not enough to cause any ceasing or overheating (especially since my ride to work is only 15-20 minutes.) I also unscrew the fuel tank camp every few minutes so a vacuum doesn't form in the fuel line. Throttle and cable snap back well and there is no hold up in any of the throttle lines.

In the video, you can hear it almost stall while idling. If I were on it (and in traffic) that little hiccup would have been a stall.

I can't figure it out... Clutch issue? Something with the exhaust? Plug distance? fuel mixture? User error? Demons? Hopefully someone has had an solved this problem. I can take pics if you need to see anything on my bike. Thanks, Army.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account