Garelli SSXL stalls after riding for 15 minutes

Jason Kofke /

It's been running great for a while, but I can't seem to fix a problem that seems to be getting slowly worse. Here's what's going on:

Typically it starts right up on the first or second kick. Idles well and runs great for about 5 to 10 minutes, but then it wants to stall if it sits still. I need to give it increasingly more throttle at read lights, clinching down on the breaks, to keep if from stalling. Lately that hasn't been working and it will just cut off dead while rolling down the road at 20-30 mph. The engine sounds great when it first starts, then rides increasingly rougher the longer it runs. After it stalls, sometimes it starts right up again with a kick or engaging the clutch while it's rolling at a good pace after stalling (a bit dangerous in traffic). But after multiple stalls I does not want to start unless I leave it sit for 5-10 minutes then the whole pattern starts again.

What I've done to trouble shoot:

Fule IS getting to the carb. Petcock works, fuel filter looks clean. I run a 50-1 oil/93 octane gas ratio pre-mixed. I added non-D oil to the clutch to the right level because, why not? I super cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air. Reassembled properly and it kicked right up and ran great after a full carb cleaning. I really checked the float bowl and it was very clean. I did notice that my adjustment screw is 5.25 turns out after max tightening - that seems a bit extreme, but it's worked for the past few months since I've had it. I thought to adjust the throttle screw but didn't want to fix this stalling issue that way as it seems to be a work around of a real problem. Finally, I checked the plug and it's just a little on the rich side but not enough to cause any ceasing or overheating (especially since my ride to work is only 15-20 minutes.) I also unscrew the fuel tank camp every few minutes so a vacuum doesn't form in the fuel line. Throttle and cable snap back well and there is no hold up in any of the throttle lines.

In the video, you can hear it almost stall while idling. If I were on it (and in traffic) that little hiccup would have been a stall.

I can't figure it out... Clutch issue? Something with the exhaust? Plug distance? fuel mixture? User error? Demons? Hopefully someone has had an solved this problem. I can take pics if you need to see anything on my bike. Thanks, Army.

Re: Garelli SSXL stalls after riding for 15 minutes

Condenser?

swollen rubber is always the problem w garellis once got at red lights, but in your video back wheels lifted and it kinda cuts out. if u got a huge carb on there, cant tell just switch out to a sha. if u got a phbg you'll have to mess with a smaller idle jet or drop your needle way down to lean out idle. or different slide, also make sure u got 2 stroke atomizer as well.

Try this: Remove the fuel filter and run the fuel line directly from the petcock to the carb.

+1 on Condenser.

Jason Kofke /

Condenser question: That's an electric component, right? (I know very little on electronics/ electrical systems. But I'm going to replace all the electric parts so as to learn.) Condenser is on the clutch side (left side) of bike, right? I did notice that a wire / wire housing running from the sparkplug to the (?) (Condenser) on the left side of the bike was a bit loose. I snugged it up and it seemed to run better. But I also adjusted the idle needle screw just before this. Something made it start and get me home after an hour of not being able to start it. What does the condenser do?

For fuel filter suggestion: good idea. I did notice some activity with bubbles in the fuel line moving around before and after the fuel filter and I wonder if that's part of the problem - maybe it's slowing fuel flow and starving the carb as I ride it. I'll order some new fuel line and give that a try if the problem comes up again.

Huge thanks for the suggestions.

hey, at least it started and got me home and I wasn't able to cause it to stall.

Jason Kofke /

Strike those condenser questions. I read up and I get it. It would seem that this explains the problem. So, new questions: Any advice on which to get for a Garelli SSXL with a Polini 70cc upgrade? Is the condenser something I should repair or replace? Is it a bad idea to motor with a condenser that's shorted? How difficult is it to replace it?

ok. No rush in advice as I'll be away for a week, but I'll order the parts if anyone has suggestions.

Very easy to replace.

Jason Kofke /

I ordered a stock one for now and when I do the CDI electric upgrade I'll replace it again...

Thanks Daniel. Those are some of my favorite words.

j

You can buy fuel line cheap at any auto parts store.

Cdi ignition does not use a condenser, also if your points ignition is in good shape(other than the condenser) you prob don't really need a cdi.

I'd just replace the faulty condenser and ride it

Yeah, I'm thinking condenser too. I had a condenser go just recently same symptoms and I know those are condenser symptoms but still kept chasing other shit, fuel, points, jetting whatever. I dont know why but sometimes you dont listen to your own advice or best guesses? Replaced the condenser and kicked myself for having to endure pushing that thing home a few times for just failing to realize

♣Slew Foot♣ /

get it hot get it to stall check your compression with a meter then you can see if it's a seal leak or maybe it could even be ovaled cylinder or blow by on piston

Try running your truce 2 stroke oil with Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas once a month usually it cleans out all your crap and it also will swell your seals you can even put it in your tranny it swells the seals and the rubber clutch or cork or leather

oh yeah make sure your gas cap vent is working and you have your two stroke oil line plugged if you're running premix

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account