What the hell is this wire?- motobecane

Alden Stover /

Hello all. I'm new so I'd like to apologize in advance for any future stupid questions.

So I just got my first moped, a 1978 motobecane 50v. Currently it has no spark. I have a clutch puller, ignition coil, and condenser ordered and on the way. In the meantime, I've been reading through the wealth of material on this site, and doing my best to understand the wiring diagrams (maybe failing). So here's my first potentially stupid question: what is this unconnected grey wire?

20190328_135758.jpg

It's running from the headlight, bundled with various others. Is this a disconnected killswitch wire or a reason for my lack of spark?

Re: What the hell is this wire?- motobecane

Can you not trace the wire back to see where it comes from? Or goes to?

Did the bike ever run for you? Or run for the previous owner?

Mike

Alden Stover /

Well I've established that was in fact a stupid question. I opened up the headlight and was able to determine it was one of the three wires leading to the killswitch.

No, I've never had it running. I just got it cheap from a kid who swore it ran. Anyway, I'm cool with the challenge. Mechanically, everything seems to be sound. Its the lack of spark that's my current issue, but I believe I'm on the right track to getting it going.

I'd be more concerned with what looks to be a melted wire running through the middle of that^ pic .

Alden Stover /

Ha. No, not melted. Its an unjacketed ground wire. Someone did an odd / sloppy job of rewiring this thing.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Yeah, ground wire. Im really not too sure but the wire might plug into the coil.Maybe... My motobecant has a mess of it's wires so who knows

Check that it has the bonding strap

Alden Stover /

Hmmmm... I think maybe that's what that bare wire is. I'll look at it tomorrow to check.(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

That's deffinitly the bonding/ground strap

It is there, but is ot hooked up? Also double check the wiring on the engine and on the white coil.

Bare wire is ground strap. Lots of times people discount the kill switch from the system, check the wiki, read everything by rebel moby.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account