Vespa Bravo and Grillo variomatic transmission and drive comparison

Hello :)

I am rebuilding my Bravo. Was wondering if the transmission (with rear hub) and all drive gear are the same as in Piaggio Grillo. Would it fit into Bravo? Of course both of them are variomatic. My main anxiety is that rear wheel hub is smaller in Grillo than in Bravo. I am asking, because i may be able to buy transmission and drive gear from Grillo.

Thanks for any help :)

Re: Vespa Bravo and Grillo variomatic transmission and drive comparison

Dirty30 Dillon /

The transmission will physically fit your bravo, but the gearing will be different

Ok, so if i take from Grillo all drive gear (vario, transmission and so on) and put it to Bravo, would it work or is it more complicated?

Also, would the rear hub from Grillo fit to the Bravo frame?

And what about rear brake. Would it work with Grillo rear hub inside Bravo frame?

Grillo rear wheel will go in your bravo yes. Brake stuff should work the same. But if you take the hub from a 14 inch wheel and put it in a 16 inch without changing the drive gears you will have a different ratio.

Ok, so it means that the Bravo with Grillo hub and gears will accelarate slowly or the max speed will be lower? Sorry for such a noob questions, but i am a begginer ;)

I Litterally have no idea what gears are in the grillo or your bravo, but I can almost guarantee they are different.

It looks it’s 9ish :1 in the grillo so you would end up with a faster top speed using that trans in the bravo.

6D032F59-81F6-41DA-881E-E675C6E47C25.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

You will have a hard time pulling the grill gearing with a stock bravo.

grillos had taller gears to make up for the shorter wheels. in the bike it feels like the same gearing as a bravo, but put it on a 16" wheels and it is very different.

if the bike has a kitted top end and an expansion chamber, the grillo gears will be fine. if not, you will be doing a lot of pedaling off the line

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account