Changing Variator Side Crank Seal on Honda Hobbit

Hey, all! I'm trying to take a look at the variator side crank seal on a 1983 Honda Hobbit but...I forget how. I changed the seal just before winter, and not long after, the bike quit working again. All I can guess is that I didn't get the seal to seat properly (or broke something while getting in there). Decided I'd wait until spring to do anything about it, and lo and behold, spring is upon us.

I don't know what most things are called, so bear with me if I call something wrong! So far, I've got the variator thingy off, and I'm down to what's shown in the first picture. I've got this puller tool, but I can't really figure out what I'm supposed to DO with it. Is there some other tool I should be using? Is this not the part for this tool? I did this before winter, so I know I have all the necessary tools laying around here some where. All I'm missing is know-how (and apparently a good memory, since I already did this late last year).

Any help that anyone could provide would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

20190327_122159.jpg
20190327_123323.jpg

Re: Changing Variator Side Crank Seal on Honda Hobbit

14mm nut on the crank is holding the clutch Bell on, hold the flywheel somehow while taking that nut off. Then use that puller on the clutch below the clutch Bell.

The likelihood of the seal being your issue again is low though. Unless you know you fucked it up the first time. But looking at it can't hurt

Thanks for the reply! I got a 14mm socket on there, but I did notice that the thingy (assuming that's the flywheel you're talking about) turned freely. How do I get it to stay still?

> David Lewis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for the reply! I got a 14mm socket on there, but I did notice

> that the thingy (assuming that's the flywheel you're talking about)

> turned freely. How do I get it to stay still?

There's a few options: 1. Piston stop 2. Strap wrench on flywheel (my preferred method) 3. Stick a flathead screwdriver in one of the windows of the flywheel, flat against the side of the mount for one of the coils. Hold the screwdriver as you turn the nut on the variator side. You can damage your ignition system if you're not careful doing #3.

The flywheel is underneath the chrome cover on the right side of the bike.(edited)

.(edited)

Ohhh, that's right! All coming back to me now. Completely forgot taking the chrome cover off the other side. Held the flywheel with a strap wrench and got the nut on the variator side out no problem.

Thanks a ton!

> David Lewis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ohhh, that's right! All coming back to me now. Completely forgot taking

> the chrome cover off the other side. Held the flywheel with a strap

> wrench and got the nut on the variator side out no problem.

>

> Thanks a ton!

No problem. And if you decide to replace the seal you don't have to take the whole motor apart, you can just use a wood screw, drill it into the seal a little bit, and work it off the crank.

Cool. I'm down to the seal, and I have one final question. Basically "Does this look right?" I seem to remember the seal seating much further in. Has this been pushed/jostled out somehow? If so, what should I do? Pull it out and replace? Just push it back in? Could there be an underlying problem in how I put it in the first time?

Hopefully I'm not sounding TOO dumb here. I don't have a lot of auto maintenance experience, so this temperamental moped has really tested my ability limits since I got it. Not complaining. From what I can tell from the Mad Max series, I'm going to be glad I got some repair experience before the bombs drop.

Now with pictures:

20190327_130608.jpg
20190327_130446.jpg
20190327_130427.jpg

Yeah that should be sitting flush with the case. You could possibly just push it back into place (use a large socket or piece of tubing over the crank, tap gently with mallet till flat) and give that a try. If you have one on hand might as well replace it while you have it apart.

Even then, that might not be your issue with the no start, but it's possible that'll fix it. In my experience you can sort of hear air passing through when seals are bad

did u sniff alotta gas? my memory fading as well, terrible. anyways clean surfaces super good and smear the outside seal with a bit of motoseal1 and push in place.

Often hobbits have damage on the seal mating surface on the cases on the variator side from cranks breaking off. To prevent a leak from these damaged case surfaces, I usually add a thin layer of yamabond to the outer part of seal them drive it in.

Never had a leak, never had the seal pop out.

Yes to this practice.

Another good tip is provide a healthy supply of "start up" lube for the seals lip to crank surface. Careful not to get any lube on the seals outer mating surface or your yammagoop will be for not.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account