QT50 kick start gear issue

Wondering if anybody can provide some information. On my moped, the kickstart feels kind of loose or sloppy. to me it feels like it's not kicking over as much as it could be. sometimes when I try to kick-start it, it will slip all the way and you end up pulling a muscle.

I feel like my kick start gear is loose or that little ring gear with the clip on it is loose or worn down.

So I'm looking at replacing it after I open it up. Gut instinct.

I look online and I'm finding 79 and 80 replacement parts. I'm also seeing that the 2005 Yamaha PW50 part has a similar shape and size.

Are these the same?

Re: QT50 kick start gear issue

PW50 is very close. I am not sure it's exactly the same but a lot of parts are direct exchange and I'd be willing to take that gamble on it working.

Sounds kinga just worn out. as you start kicking down it engages the 2 gears and sounds like theyre not always engaging or engaging firmly

yeah if you go really slow and careful you'll get a full kick but if you go any faster it'll slip off and you'll pull a muscle.

There is a video out on YouTube about how this guy straightened his kick-start gear shaft back out and swapped his little ring gear with that spring on it. I'm wondering if my ring gear has anything to do with it

Any year QT50 part will work. The PW50 part# is the same as the QT50. Also look at the hole in the clutch cover, might be worn. Covers are cheap though.

Jack Rutherford /

wonder if someone kicked off some teeth on those gears?

There's a very good chance of that. it looks like it got its ass kicked in various ways that I've repaired.

I've learned through owning this thing that most people think that continuous kick-starting is the answer to getting it to run.

The last three people that owned this thing were way over the weight limit and two of them didn't know anything about this moped. This is part of the reason I got it so cheap. Dude thought this qt50 was toast. It's not, it just needs help

Jack Rutherford /

yea kicking harder doesnt really help

LOL you can't kill it as long as you can still get parts and take the time to learn.

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> yea kicking harder doesnt really help

It sure does .

Think of all the bad aggression that gets expended .

As much won't be shed a poor , helpless little moped . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account