1980 Garelli VIP 2spd rough time getting into 2nd gear

Barry (Bob) Brown /

1980 Garelli VIP 2spd and it has a rough time getting into 2nd gear, it seems smooth up to about 15mph and then takes way too long trying to shift into 2nd and sometimes wont or kinda surges,jolts. I drained and refilled the oil with fresh 30w. it looked pretty clean in the trans when I had the cover off. Think I just need to replace 1st/2nd gear rubbers?

Re: 1980 Garelli VIP 2spd rough time getting into 2nd gear

take it apart and clean it, theres probably gunk/rubber pieces hidden n lodged in there. those little rubber nipples suck.

> Barry (Bob) Brown Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 1980 Garelli VIP 2spd and it has a rough time getting into 2nd gear, it

> seems smooth up to about 15mph and then takes way too long trying to

> shift into 2nd and sometimes wont or kinda surges,jolts. I drained and

> refilled the oil with fresh 30w. it looked pretty clean in the trans

> when I had the cover off. Think I just need to replace 1st/2nd gear

> rubbers?

Make sure you have a good fuel flow and a clean carb first. This may sound crazy but it's a garelli. They do weird stuff from the simplest things..... Also make sure you have the air filter on it if it's completely stock.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Taking apart today to clean, my service manual shows a different clutch as mine has 4 rivets so not sure how to tak this one apart. Anyone got a tip or ?

Take pics as you go.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

do I first drill out these rivets? This is the same clutch as mine.

VIP21Clutch.jpg

Barry (Bob) Brown /

OK ran across a pop-rivet conversion thread and I drilled em' out - so I'm good.

Im o.k. mechanically, but at 51 I came back into mopeds after 35 year and first mistake was finding Moped Army - second mistake was finding treatland!

thx again for all the help on all my crap.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account