Weight of Hobbit mufflers.

I have two different weight mufflers for Honda Hobbits. The one for the PA50I weighs

2lb 9oz and the one for the PA50II weighs 3lbs 10oz. Are these weights correct or do I have that much extra carbon build up in the one for the PAII. I already tried burning them out and only lost 2oz on each. all help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jack

Re: Weight of Hobbit mufflers.

Even though you burn them out, you need to dump the residue if possible. A rubber hammer banged against the sides should let a lot of debris come back out the flange or tail.

A lot of people swear by oven cleaner...I dunno, should work,but also corrosive.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Even though you burn them out, you need to dump the residue if possible.

> A rubber hammer banged against the sides should let a lot of debris come

> back out the flange or tail.

>

> A lot of people swear by oven cleaner...I dunno, should work,but also

> so corrosive.

Corrosive ... possibly , but it isn't in there long enough to make any difference .

It has to eat through the carbon and soot before it gets to the metal .

I've never seen a problem with it .

That's good. I have never used it. I have only had to BBQ a few mufflers because of previous owners. The Pennzoil Marine synthetic blend oil that I mix with takes care of the carbon build-up pretty well.

Even pure acid would not eat through steel, not in any amount of time that would matter. I use muriatic in my tanks because I got tired of waiting a week for vinegar to work.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Even pure acid would not eat through steel, not in any amount of time

> that would matter. I use muriatic in my tanks because I got tired of

> waiting a week for vinegar to work.

Yeah,muriatic eats rust well, even diluted 3 to 1 from Bricklayers acid which is already diluted. Still, you need a water hose right there where you can get to it if you get anything in yer eye. Faceshield for sure.

Honda mufflers have a bolt to remove to help scrape and dump crud.

Good foresight on their part.

It was. especially since their recommended mix was 25:1! I have put 1,000 miles on my Hobbit, prob 700 at that mix. have gone to 32:1, as it is the mix for all my other bikes, it has coked up a bit, I have the air filter halfway out to compensate, thanks DPC Ryan! :) But I need to remove and clean the exhaust or go proma, I no longer commute on it, just ride for fun and relaxation so I leave it be...that Honda is still by far the most reliable moped I have ever owned. Move's my 200lbs at 31 mph and a steady 25 up the steepest grades. Super fast from 0-20 too, puts my beautiful Motobecane to shame off the line. That thing struggles off the line, but once wound out and all the cacophony of noise blends into the good hum, you Motobecane riders know what I mean, it will see 33-34 bone stock! It is of course the red one... ;)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> It was. especially since their recommended mix was 25:1! I have put

> 1,000 miles on my Hobbit, prob 700 at that mix. have gone to 32:1, as it

> is the mix for all my other bikes, it has coked up a bit, I have the air

> filter halfway out to compensate, thanks DPC Ryan! :) But I need to

> remove and clean the exhaust or go proma, I no longer commute on it,

> just ride for fun and relaxation so I leave it be...that Honda is still

> by far the most reliable moped I have ever owned. Move's my 200lbs at 31

> mph and a steady 25 up the steepest grades. Super fast from 0-20 too,

> puts my beautiful Motobecane to shame off the line. That thing struggles

> off the line, but once wound out and all the cacophony of noise blends

> into the good hum, you Motobecane riders know what I mean, it will see

> 33-34 bone stock! It is of course the red one... ;)

Never owned a Honda moped. Fred,who wrote Fred's Guide, owned one and liked it.

I'm a believer in that 32:1 and never over 40:1. Those bearings need oil and kitted engines need MORE oil.

I've never burned a bearing ,any bearing, with 40:1 or more ratio of oil. A lot of people here though burn out bearings and I have always wondered if that COMMON 50:1 was the cause.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I refuse to run anything at any ratio heavier than 50:1.

32:1 with modern oils is only increasing your required maintenance via carbon buildup and going through plugs faster

Lotta people having to replace wrist pin bearing, lower rod bearing, and main bearings. More oil when jetted correctly is gonna reduce wear.

My younger brother is a concrete contractor(took over my business in `89). He keeps a Concrete Partner saw. Very dusty work, a lot of strain cutting that concrete with the 2-stroke engine.

Always used 50:1 and had to replace his saws often. I told him 32:1 would keep his saw going a lot longer.

After a few years he told me that it made his saws last WAY longer.

You can run WHATEVER. I will run what never makes me tear one down,cause I like long rides,trouble-free.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account