1982 Honda Nc50 not getting gas to the spark plug

Hello all,

I just had my cylinder jug bored and installed a new piston. Cleaned the carb and auto choke. Try to kick it... it has spark but the spark plug is dry. Any help would be appreciated.

-Abby

Re: 1982 Honda Nc50 not getting gas to the spark plug

Have you confirmed gas in the float bowl?

Yep float bowl is full and the two main jets are clear.

Ye olde infamous crank seals may have blown.

This is what I feared...what should i use to pull the flywheel?

Let's see if this link works! Manuals for Express

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/express/hexpresssm.htm

if its like the hobbit engine, then my guess is the variator side crank seal, unless u can find, you'll have to make the puller, wanna say its 26x 1.5.

15515434110721032815930.jpg

This is a really good manual but mine is the '82 and that year they changed a lot of stuff. Thank you though.

What does this puller grab onto?

-Abby

Jack Rutherford /

flywheel should come out by hand. You need to worry about pulling the flywheel collar. I doubt 82 is different from the other years other than cdi. You need a two or three jaw puller to get that collar off.

ok scratch that - it looks like your model is similar to the nu50

you need this to pull it if my calculations are correct.

I've never owned an 82 but every year up to it except a 79, I believe.

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> flywheel should come out by hand. You need to worry about pulling the

> flywheel collar. I doubt 82 is different from the other years other

> than cdi. You need a two or three jaw puller to get that collar off.

>

> ok scratch that - it looks like your model is similar to the nu50

>

> you need this to pull it if my calculations are correct.

>

> I've never owned an 82 but every year up to it except a 79, I believe.

Hmm , how does this :

Fits into :

Service manual has an 82 addendum at the end.

Yeah, I thought that was in that manual. Don't know if it covers the flywheel/magneto though.

I used my motobecane/hobbit rear puller to take it off if I remember. Been years but I never had any other pullers available.

Jack Rutherford /

puller I linked to is a hobbit puller. anyhow this should be the same as an 1981 so I'll take the cover off and look. (edited)

Jack Rutherford /

ok, I looked. the 81 has a flywheel collar like the previous versions despite being a CDI system so it's not the same as the 82 and 83. Damn Honda, making things difficult (edited)

Yeah my 83 (and nx50) were definitely an inside thread.

Ok guys,

I ended up using a 27mm flywheel puller and replaced the oil seal (a chainsaw wrench works wonders for re installation)... still no gass to the sparkplug.

-Abby

Reed valves stuck closed? Bad job boring cylinder and matching it up? Piston turned 180 degrees? The OTHER crank seal blown? (edited)

Jack Rutherford /

I had a 1980 nc50 like this once. It was a bitch to cold start. I did almost everything to get it to start better. Looking back at it now, I think the aftermarket petcock didn't do the best job delivering fuel to an engine that hadn't been already running. that's my guess. I ended up never shutting the petcock off and it seemed to help or maybe I imagined it. Could be your problem is upstream.

first you might want to see if you have some vacumn at the throat of the carb to pull the gas in. Have someone hold their hand over the throat of the carb. I usually use some clear plastic line from home depot to see if I am getting any gas from the tank to the carb. Make sure what the problem is before you tear stuff apart. Does is start right up when you spray a little premix in it? Start with a new plug if possible. Check compression at spark plug hole,etc.Look up the problems with the auto choke. Maybe all you need is a different carb.

todd amundson /

Pour gas in the intake without a carb on it. Turn it over till it turns over. If it won’t even pop then you have ignition problems.

Ok so I changed the other oil seal and put it back together still won't start. Tried putting gas in spark plug hole still nothing. (I tracked the carb down on ebay rebuilt it, i know it gets gas cause the float bowl is full. If you open the drain screw the gas runs freely out the bottom. Had a mechanic tell me to go back stock on the carb because the new ones aren't as good.) Thanks for any suggestions.

-Abby

Jack Rutherford /

if it still wont start with gas down the cylinder then the carb is mot the problem unless you put too much down there. mechanics get lazy when they start blaming parts. on some of those knock off carbs on ebay, sellers havent enlarged the pilot jet. so you are not getting gas because pilot jet is too small. turn in all the way the fuel air mixture screw on the carb and choke it. see if any signs of life. if so take out pilot jet and enlarge to 0.45mm with micro drill. and theres your dinner

For the picture you showed I would recommend an impact tool to take the nut off then use the item in the picture. Just do a search on ebay and amazon for (motorcycle, quad, moped) flywheel puller.

flywheelpuller.jpg

Ok changed the other oil seal still wouldn't start. Checked for compression...nothing. No pressure at all...

did u remember the new rings when u installed the new piston. head gasket?

No sir the guy who was boring it out replaced the rings, but I now believe they were to big... the piston seized. I have decided to quit on this jug and buy a kit. Any suggestions on over bore kits? Sizes? Brands? I want something that comes all included... cylinder jug, rings, pin, clips. (Tired of messing with mismatched pieces)

1556307570657377797102596024221.jpg

> Abby King Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ...Checked for compression...nothing. No pressure at all...

No pressure at all? How did you do the check? Did you screw in a compression tester into the spark plug hole or did you use the time honored method of simply removing the plug and putting your finger over the plug hole? I ask because sometimes compression testers are faulty.

I used a compression tester and it would flutter up to 30 psi and back to 0. Ended up taking the cylinder head and jug off and found that the gasket was on wrong... reinstalled everything and still no pressure and no gas to the plug.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account