Bravo fly wheel, bravo!

Gabe Mustane /

Flywheel is stuck!!! Daaaaang! Paid $20 for a puller and I’m just pulling the threads off. Can I heat it up or any other magical tricks out there?

Re: Bravo fly wheel, bravo!

Yes! Apply some heat BEFORE ripping the threads off. Or, better yet, put some tension on the puller, then smack the end of the puller bolt with a hammer. It'll pop loose.

I'd probably avoid the heat option, unless you're super careful not to melt wires and crank seal behind the flywheel. Don't heat the shaft.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If the puller isn't working you're doing something wrong.

Angelo Massimino /

Lay the moped on its left side (use a cardboard mat to prevent damage to the moped paint) and spray some DW 40 inside the flywheel hole.

Leave the WD 40 to act for one night and the next day try to screw the puller to the last threads at the bottom of the flywheel hole.

If the flywheel has no more threads, then it is "dead" and its extraction will be even more difficult.

If you have experience with welding, you can weld a nut at one end of a tube of appropriate size, and then weld the other end to the flywheel hole.

Make sure you do not overheat the crankshaft.

Screw a suitable screw to the nut welded to the pipe, cross your fingers, and extract the flywheel with this self-built "puller".

If you need, I've for sale a flywheel for your Bravo.

Angelo Massimino /

I wrote the wrong size: Lay the moped on its RIGHT side

Dirty30 Dillon /

I guess it makes sense to ask... but you have the motor out of the bike right?

Also, sink the threads into the flywheel as far as possible than load the flywheel bolt with tension and give it a whack with a hammer. Retighten and repeat.

The shock under load will get the flywheel off easily.

Gabe Mustane /

Yep, case is out. Bike I’m sure sat for a long time. I’ll try the hammer method tonight and drop some pictures if I fail again... hopefully there’s enough threads on there to pull something still. I soaked it down in WD40 last night.

I'm hoping your crank threads are okay. If you put enough pressure to pull the threads out of the flywheel, you may have mashed the end of your crank. Hope not.

You can always give the flywheel a few good whacks with a mallet or dead blow too. Ive gotten them off this way in a pinch to fix a Condensor.

Hmmmm. I have always first remover the motor from the bike before trying to pull the flywheel. I mean whats the point? You cant remove the flywheel from the motor with the motor still in the subframe anyhow. Do you have the motor out on the bike?

Post some pictures for crying out loud.

Gabe Mustane /
F0468BA9-04F5-4BCE-BE62-817E57E2023B.jpeg
60534368-5A05-467E-8A7F-601B9B16A2BE.jpeg

Hey guys thanks for the hammer suggestion! Beat on the puller and it finally came out! Stripped threads on the puller only. Time to clean her up, getvthe case apart and start a rebuild. Thanks again!

Looks good. Glad you saved it!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account