Just bought and the pedal start won’t work

I just bought this Garelli ( same thing as my other one) and the pedal start does not work (it just turns and the wheel doesn’t even move) what is wrong and is it serious, also if you have the lever pulled that turns the motor over and move the back tire it turns the motor over.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Re: Just bought and the pedal start won’t work

so you're saying you can bump start it maybe (with the lever held in) but pedaling the pedals doesn't turn the wheel? not familiar with the internals of this engine but either something internal or maybe the freewheel on rear wheel is bad?

There is a chain inside the cases that's probably broken.

Is it a normal bicycle chain? And do I take this side of the case off?

Also if it’s this side of the case, is there going to be transmission oil in it?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

this is the chain

There is transmission oil where the chain is. You need to split the case to get to it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Either that, or your cable is just not adjusted properly or broken. It seems like you don't really have a lot of mechanical background, so I would suggest taking a look throught the manual

He already said the rear wheel will turn the engine so the starter clutch seems in order.

The pedal thing just spins freely but you could push start but I want to fix the pedal start

This is the left side.

image.jpg

Owen, it looks and sounds to me that you need to dig way deeper to get to the pedal chain. I believe you will need to remove the engine from the bike, and disassemble it further, by removing the head, cylinder, clutch, and ignition, then splitting the case halves to get to the chain. It's a big job, if you're inexperienced, and you will need to download and follow the instructions in the service manual. I've never worked on a Garelli, so you're going to need some direction beyond what I can offer.

Also I am not getting any spark but the person I bought it off of took the fenders and the side skirts off. Also the right brake handle is missing.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Garellis won't spark if the brake light is burned out. If the handle is missing, the brake light circuit is probably closed

Try grounding the blue wire from the stator.

Also try using the search function(edited)

Well the back fender isn’t on it so the cables that are on the back light aren’t hooked up

Aaron Ward ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ /

Put your pedal on. This will aid in your pedaling.

> Owen Sims Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Well the back fender isn’t on it so the cables that are on the back

> light aren’t hooked up

Like the good Dr said, you won't have spark if your brake/tail light circuit isn't complete. Direct ground the blue wire from your stator, or properly repair the tail light circuit. Then you will have spark.

I got spark!!!!!

Nice work! Keep at it, and we'll make a moped tuner out of you yet.

On this moped I cleaned the inside of the exhaust and got all the carbon buildup out I could and I took it outside to run start it but the stator housing isn’t really moving like it should. It’s kind of like my other one if you are kick starting it to slow it just feels like it’s just rubbing against something.

I found out that the clutch handle thing that you pull needs to be tithented and then it will work but when I titghten it it just loosens back up when you pull and by itself also the gearbox screw broke because I over tightened it and it leaks oil out of it somewhere or it just might have been when I brought it home in my dads truck and had it kind of tilted

I am thinking about rebuilding this engine for experience and to get t running so what would be the main things to look for and to replace

I think that the internal pedal chain has something disconnected or broken so when I take the engine case apart will anything fall out of place?

You need to find and read the service manual! I'd help you if I could, but I've never taken a Garelli apart. I'm sure someone on here can, but reading the book would be your best bet.

Get the manual Owen. Learn your bike and you will be happy you did.

kevin Smellaflange /

first get a great approved place to work...get a lined notebook...tie a pen & pencil on a string to the spiral binding....get good lighting, stylus with light in it also...get some good tools...block out some time to start wrenchin'...read up on it , vin# & year...auto-zone has a month long warranty...save your store receipts...don't open any specialty tools in a box until you actually need them...a 2 jaw puller might come in handy...study you-tube tutorials on your bike, aspect by aspect...you don't need luck you need to be focused on the task...drive safer than you-tube clips.

Okay I am probably gonna start on it tonight

todd amundson /

I'll chime in. My two cents is that all it is would be your clutch cables out of adjustment and will not press the starter plate with enough force to press the clutch into the bell for starting. This seems to be your issue having said your cable and screw thingy are jacked up. There's no way in hell you broke that pedal chain in the case. Do not disassemble that engine. It's fine. Hell I'd send you a turn key NOI to slap on there in return for that case.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

But he said the pedals turn and the wheel doesn't move. Something ain't right

When you turn the pedals there is no tension at all but you do kind of year a piece of metal rubbing against something

When I take the crank case in half I saw the forum and it said that the baskets are probably going to be junk and I am thinking about getting the sheets of gasket paper so is there a certain kind I need or is it all the same

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account