cheap repair method for moby AV7 50v exhaust threads

kevin Smellaflange /

iv'e got a couple of donor jugs & the threads could be a lot better.

the tool is $60+....

there has to be a guru out there that has had this same problem.

Re: cheap repair method for moby AV7 50v exhaust threads

Why yes actually.

The first thing you must do, is forget about threads. When you rely on threads you rely on something that is now gone and will never return. You must take that loss and internalize it to realize there might be another way to accomplish the same task.

Then you can buy or make a cable assembly that will pull the pipe into the jug and hold it there under tension. I use a scooter brake cable and a custom made ex manifold since I run mid pipe ball joints.

I also then attached springs to the header and used some bailing wire attached around the intake side of the cyl twisted into loops to secure each side.

Seeps oil a lil bit but otherwise works great.

hardest part of mopeds is keeping the pipe on.

they stay on the longest if you do several heat cycles when installing. this requires functional threads tho...

pretty much put it on good and tight, then run the bike, let it cool, then re-tighten, a few times. also, completely remove the rear bracket/mount/support when tightening. the mount needs to hold it exactly how it fits ino the cylinder. if your threads are really bad but you still want to run it, cable/spring mounting is your only option, other than buying a new cylinder.

i broke the exhast "nipple" off of a vespa kit once. i then drilled 7/8 into the exhaust port area and made a little piece that sticks in there and then you spring mount a pipe.

if you can make yourself a "nipple," like on vespa kits, you're all set. i had a pipe for my 103, that had a little thread in nipple. the pipe just spring mounted to it.

https://www.treatland.tv/simonini-exhaust-flange-set-for-MBK-peugeot-p/simonini-exhaust-flange-777.htm

you just make one out of junk tho...

kevin Smellaflange /

thanks, i'm going to get a ball joint...but what about the leak around where the old threads were?

i'm thinking ''red heat silly-cone''

screw it in, spring it on, check for exhaust leaks.

but this $60- tool is only for marginal thread chase?

Put a crush gasket in there.

No goo will hold up. It will seep oil a bit, no way around that (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account