Tubeless conversion Puch Newport spokes

Brad William /

I just found a pair of 'tubeless' Avon 2.50 x 17 Streetrunner tires on my doorstep.

Oh, yeah. Ordered from Denniskirk a few nights back. Almost forgot.

I wore out a pair of michelin 2.75 x 17 m29s tires on my Newport. It took a few years. Very nice tires. No longer available. These Avons look very very nice.

But I'd love to go tubeless if possible. And I'd like to keep the OEM spokes.

Lots of feedback on the web. Mostly successful! ...for instance

https://advrider.com/f/threads/3m-4411n-sealing-tape-tubeless-conversion.1147330/

Last time my tire went flat I said fuck it, I'm not gonna patch this, and just squeezed in a bottle of Slime out in the walmarts parking lot.

That was two years ago. Yeah. Not for tubes. But it eventually gets beyond the hole in the tube, out to the bead, and seals the stem and nipples. Two years flat free. Takes time, messy, but it finally works. So why not just cut the middleman and seal the inside well of the rim?

wire brush it. solvent clean it. coat with black rtv. secure the whole thing with a huge rubber band cut from a 16 inch (or smaller) inner tube. Maybe even a little slime before filling just for good measure. (edited)

Re: Tubeless conversion Puch Newport spokes

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

It seems like a very large hassle with a lot that cam go wrong really......i'd just get some beefcake tubes.

Just run them with tubes.

Yea tubeless is lame anyways. If you pick up a nail you're boned gotta replace the whole tire or run it with a tube anyways.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The tire doesn't care if there's a tube in there or not. Run a tube.

Brad William /

https://www.denniskirk.com/stop-and-go/pocket-tire-plugger-for-tubeless-tires-1000.p282206.prd/282206.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs4bXqJ254AIVRVgNCh1fiwgBEAQYBCABEgIrFPD_BwE&ad=244288897914

Approved for use by Avon and a few others. You must, when you 'get home' from your repair have it inspected, repaired by a professional.

I'm on 30mph moped that weighs just a little more than an old schwinn. These Avons have such stiff sidewalls that I could practically ride them with no air whatsoever on a 17 x 2 inch rim.

A punctured tube tire basically MUST be unmounted, patched, remounted. A tubeless can be plugged with the above about 95 percent of the time.... when the puncture is within limits of size and in the tread area, not the sidewall.

I dont belive I'm plugs or patches if its not am emergency situation

Yeah and when your spokes leak for the 15th time on a thin old vintage wheel flexing and rusting you will wonder why you decided to go for the "simpler" route.

Mags,Man! Moped spokes aren't worth it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you puncture a tube, you should replace it. I agree with Daniel that patches/plugs are emergency only.

That said, you shouldn't be re-engineering the wheel so you can avoid pulling a tire. It's easy enough and there are enough work-arounds so that any level of mechanic can change a tube successfully.

I had to 'emergency' patch a tube a few years ago . That was for the third or fifth time on different spots over the last 8 or 9 years . And , the tube had a patch or two on it before that , for how long who knows . About a month ago that tube went flat , I decided the tube didn't owe me anything , anymore , so , I replaced it with a brand new heavy duty motorcycle tube .

My point : a patch done correctly should last a very long time .

Dirty30 Dillon /

I guess I have a different opinion of accessibility as I have 30-40 tubes in the shop at any time.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I guess I have a different opinion of accessibility as I have 30-40

> tubes in the shop at any time.

Ahh , I suppose if the average guy had a few dozen tubes at hand , he might just opt for a fresh one . But , if he has to make a trip to a shop for an over priced tube that isn't made as well as the one he has , he might just patch ... ;)

I've never run a patch. On old car tires,yeah. I'm talkin driving in the 1960s or 70s. Only have had three or four flats on my peds. Guess it's the `knee flick' move that dodges the bad stuff so quickly.

I run tubeless on all my mountain bikes but not my mopeds ...but the silicon into the spoke holes as a.tubeless conversion is quite intriguing. If u go for that please post some pictures and let us know if it's a valid solution. With mountain bikes a liquid latex is usually put into the air space which under most circumstances actually works to seal many flats. Whether the bead will mate with the sidewall is a totally other question. Good tubeless mountain bike tires don't use wire beads which is what most moped tires , I think, use.

Going tubeless is totally doable. I hate to side with the nay sayers but it's not worth it. Still, there's no reason you can't run a tube in a tubeless tire, and on moped spokes it's the way to go. The tubeless will be much more difficult to mount properly, tube or no, but lube it up good w soap when putting it on and you should be able to manage.

If you really want to do it right you could get a tubeless spoke rim for dirtbike and lace it. those aren't cheap tho and not that common either.

kevin Smellaflange /

my 1969 vw still has a tube it, i splortched some fix-a-flat in it to pump it back to fresh & put on a valve stem sight gauge green for 32lbs / yellow for 20lbs...

so on my moby i run yellow & bring a large mt bike co2 cartridge set up

you can regulate how much u put in with my set-up

every one should do it, it takes up no space.

& a spare tube.

On my Moby I run yellow ? What are you referring to?

Brad William /

If it's not cheap easy and effective it's not worth it.

But if it can be its worth a try.

Gonna tighten and true the wheels.

Seal spoke nipples and tubeless stem with 12 dollar 3oz tube of this

http://siliconesolutions.com/ss-6664b.html

… a low viscosity (100cps is lighter than most 10wt motor oils) industrial grade penetrating silicone sealant. 3oz is more than enough for probably three sets of wheels.

Press in rubber tubeless stems from auto parts store about two bucks each.

Mount tires and I'll check back in here with results this summer.

If it fails I've got a minimum of time or cash investment in it and can just throw tubes in. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account