Benelli City Bike help needed

Hi,

I have been looking at Moped Army, really good site and forum, lots of nice bikes.

I hope someone can help me, I have a 50cc Benelli City bike, been told it is a 1967, I have restored it but can't get it running.

I have a spark at last, managed to find used flywheel and electrics, the problem I have is I can't find any information anywhere to help set the timing, points gap etc, so any help would be great.

I have fitted the piston with the dot (no arrow) towards the exhaust outlet, I hope this is correct.

Can anyone help, I am looking forward to riding it, but so far can't get it going.

Thanks

Ady

IMG_20180707_180519.jpg

Re: Benelli City Bike help needed

good great gracious gravy that's the best bike I've seen all year. MORE MINIs PLEASE.

dot toward exhaust should be correct.

for timing just take the plug out to find top dead center, make a mark on case and mark on the flywheel, print out a quick degree wheel and mark roughly 15-20 degrees before top dead (spin reverse the direction the flywheel turns when running) and set the points to where they juuust begin to open at that point. that should get you runn9ing and you can tweak it from there til it seems best. timing, then jetting. try to start with starter fluid to validate the spark,compression and timing are OK. then you can fiddle jetting - try running with a finger over the carb's inlet to see if richening it (by choking to block air w finger) makes it better or worse. and jet from there.

is that a shifty?

Hi Born to be Wild,

Thanks for your nice comments about my bike, it is a bit different to my usual bikes as it is a 2-stroke, it has been about 30 years since I last had a 2-stroke, a Suzuki AP50.

Thanks for the information on setting the timing, I have had a few goes with no luck so far, so will try your suggestion at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Ady

Hi Pat,

Not a shifty, it does has a second lever on the left handle bar which to be honest I am unsure what it does.

I hope to find out once I get in running.

Ady

kevin Smellaflange /

that 2nd lever is an ejector seat...no really!

kevin Smellaflange /

your license plate doubles as a wheelie bar...cool

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account