Time for ZA50 Pucks. Oh Oh...

Nothing broke. Yet. But I'm trying to be proactive and do this before it does.

1981 Newport II switched to a 1980 Maxi Luxe frame. The Za50 has 1950 miles and shifts smooth, but I've got the new pucks and I don't trust the 40 year old OG's, so here we go. I'm gonna flip second gear clutch, too. I've read the Wiki. Thrice. Reading isn't doing. Still scared shitless I'm gonna screw it up. But I learn best by actually doing something, so I'm gonna turn up the heat in the garage, put on some HillBilly music on Pandora, and get after it. I'm posting this so all of y'all that have done it can give some tips, tricks, or advice. What could possibly go wrong? I'm all ears.

While it's on the bench, it's getting new Michelin City Pro's, switch bases, fresh wheel bearing grease (except I think they're probably sealed bearings), and anything else I come up with.

image.jpg

Re: Time for ZA50 Pucks. Oh Oh...

Jerrod Mindykowski /

I was freaked out cracking the case on mine the first time to do my pucks. Honestly, it’s not too bad. Just lay the parts out in order they came out. I had a flat head attachment on my dewalt impact to get to the pucks, because those fuckers were in there like swimwear.(edited)

Rear axle is probably sealed on an 81 Newport but front is not unless someone modded it.

Just remember to tighten everything back down to torque specs on reassembly and check the spacing using plastigauge.

Some other very helpful tools to have around:

Manual impact driver with large flat head tip and hammer (to remove bolts that house pucks and sometimes the tranny cover bolts as well if it's the first time)

Red loctite for reassembly of the above (just the pucks part, not the cover bolts)

Wooden work bench or stool with a hole in it (to rest the gear with the pucks on so the shaft protrudes through the hole and you have a flat surface to work with)

Breaker bar for that pesky reverse-thread nut

Deep 15mm and deep 24mm sockets

New tranny cover gasket (oem preferred)

And of course, if you have access to the ZA50 clutch holder tool it makes life a hell of a lot easier(edited)

Um, how do I properly disconnect the starter cable?

No, I haven't screwed it up yet.

Holding the rest of the starter assemble in place with a wrench, carefully remove the top securing nut that holds the cable in place.

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-ZA50-starter-securing-nut-p/puch-za50-starter-nut-00087.htm

Success there, Mike. Thanks.

All disassembled, without incident. I'm just waiting for an impact driver to get the puck retainer screws out. Should be here Friday. I hate waiting.

In the meantime, since I am planning on flipping second gear clutch, which side should face out originally? I don't think anybody was in here yet, but maybe. I want to be sure to put it together with second gear clutch flipped.. I read a thread on this once, but I can't find it now. Here is a picture of the guts, in order, with the outside surfaces facing up, as disassembled.

image.jpg

I see now how it needs to go when flipped. After closer inspection, I'm the first goon in here. It isn't as complex as I expected it to be. I don't anticipate any problems if I put it all back together in reverse order. I didn't damage the gasket, but I do have a new one from treats for a backup. I'll torque it proper, and check end play float.

I think I was more scared of it than I needed to be.

You just did it right by researching thoroughly first. It's not hard with the right tools and know-how. Although to be fair I once encountered a late-model ZA with the reverse nut so tight that a pneumatic impact drill couldn't even budge it. I had to clamp the cases in a vice and use a 4 foot steel bar attached to the breaker bar to get it off, so sometimes it's not so easy.

Congrats!

Don't congratulate me yet! It ain't back together. There's still plenty of time and opportunity for me to screw somethin up. :)

Rand Jacobson /

Anyone have a measurement of the shift picks? I'd like to try and cut my own for my Newport.

> Rand Jacobson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone have a measurement of the shift picks? I'd like to try and cut my

> own for my Newport.

Nah. If I remember, I'll throw a mic on one before I reassemble, but they're only like $10, for really good ones. Hardly worth the hassle of fabricating your own that may or may not leave your transmission in tatters.

Rand Jacobson /

I have a few sticks of delrin from work and can get more. Its less the money and more curiosity. If it blows up, its just another thing to fix.

> Rand Jacobson Wrote:

> I have a few sticks of delrin from work and can get more. Its less the

> money and more curiosity. If it blows up, its just another thing to fix.

I heard that. I'll try to get the measurements in the next day or two.

Oh Puck!

334A9A42-4942-42F4-BEDB-A9F4CEB176DC.jpeg

New pucks are 7.5 mm diameter by 3 mm thick.

Jerrod Mindykowski /

Really? That doesn’t sound right to me, but I could be way off I guess. Been awhile since I’ve opened up my za50 cases now.

> Jerrod Mindykowski Wrote:

> Really? That doesn’t sound right to me, but I could be way off I guess.

> Been awhile since I’ve opened up my za50 cases now.

Shit no. I screwed up there. I was looking at the wrong side of my dial caliper. Soooo, about .30" thick, by around .75" diameter. Or 7.5mm thick by 19-20 diameter.

But on that note, it's all back together with new pucks, second gear clutch flipped, and end play float mics out good. Sprocket turns nice front and back. All seems well. I'll throw the engine back on the bike and put some oil in it tomorrow, and then it's test ride time. That was way easier than I expected, thanks to the awesome information and help on this site.

Finally got around to a test ride. It's perfect. So smooth. After flipping second, it holds first gear until 17-18 mph, so it climbs hills so much better now.

My poor, stock E50 Newport L can't even come close to keeping up. What a difference there is in power and performance between the two bikes. I think the Newport L must be a 1.5 HP.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Nice! Did this on mine too. Definitely a different machine after the flip. Drill your intake out, add a pipe and tune. Peppy stock engine.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account