Stumped 1979 Yankee Peddler custom with no spark.

I have no clue what the issue could be. I've redone all the wiring with new cables and completely rebuilt the engine. It originally needed the rebuild due to a busted bearing. But now I have zero spark. I've replaced all the components with new ones and still no luck. Idk if it's timing or what but I am getting absolutely zero spark. I'm in Northern California between SF and Sacramento and if anyone can help either here or in person I would be happy to supply beer, travel (reasonable distance) and even pay a little to get my bike on the road. Picture of bike included.

IMG_1424.jpeg

Re: Stumped 1979 Yankee Peddler custom with no spark.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Clean your points, gap them to spec, and check grounds/wiring. I'd replace the condenser if you havent.

I think for v1 you just have to ground the blue wire from the stator to test for spark? Someone correct me if im wrong

Unhook your kill switch wire. Could be grounded.

Check the tail light

Richard Eberline /

Inline Junction (like a safety fuse made with wire) found this on a AMF 140.

Check all wires for breaks.

Honda scrambler fuel tank?

Glad this bike still pops up. Poor things been through a lot over the years. I second checking taillight and make sure all grounds are on bare metal. Double check the spark plug boot and wire connections, they can come loose and kill spark.

Good luck!

Off of a 70s scrambler I believe, haha. and Chris I can't bare to get rid of it since I got it. I really want to get it running and join in at least one Squid ride in Sacramento before good old Uncle Sam sends me elsewhere.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/19 07:31PM by motoninj4.

Wolf Wizard /

Hey man! So v1 stuff is pretty simple and fun! Cool bike!

First, there are only 3 wires from the stator, black, blue, and red.

I generally group it down to:

Black- lighting system

Red- kill switch and ignition system

Blue- stupid ground for the red wire why did they do this? Oh and it also runs the brake light system.

So as I stated, the blue wire actually works as a ground for the ignition. And it also runs your brake light. Which is why everyone says to check the break light blue, because if it’s blown the ignition system is not grounded because you know there is a break in the circuit and what not. I was told through hearsay that it was supposed to be a “safety feature” so you don’t ride without a brake light.

Try and disconnect the blue wire right off the magneto as soon as you can and ground it to test for spark. (I always re wire mine and just run them this way and use my black wire to run my brake lights but this takes a little change out whith what brake light switch you use)

Other important grounds are the kill switch itself and the HT coil, which is what your spark plug wire comes out of. It will either self ground via a metal mounting tab or have a short wire coming off of it Immediately just grounding itself to a metal spot. Make sure there is no corrosion for these ground points.

Good luck and return back

« Go to Topic — end of thread