Sachs Suburban 505 points cover

Hello, I just recently picked up a 1980 Sachs Hercules Suburban with a 505 1/d engine. The bike doesn't currently run because of it having no spark. I have determined that it is either the coil or the points. So my question is how do I go about getting the points cover off. I assume it just snaps off and you can get it off by hammering the notches on the top and bottom with a flathead, but I want to be certain and I can't find anything on it. I also want to know if there may be some kind of trick to it or some way to make it easier.

If my points are fine and it is the coil, how do I go about disconnecting the wires to it? Do I have to cut the wires and do some soldering or is there some kind of connector in the headlight bucket, if so, how is the headlight supposed to come out. There's a screw holding it in at the bottom, but with it removed the headlight doesn't budge.

Thank you for your time.

15468993859686442763309526248650.jpg

Re: Sachs Suburban 505 points cover

Richard Eberline /

the bottom has the cut out to remove.

the top has the cut out to apply a little pressure.

Use a soft rubber hammer or your hand

that's pretty much exactly it. instead of even really hammering in it you should be able to get a wide flathead blade in the notch and twist so it pushes the cover out. wiggle top a little bottom a little back and forth to work it off. after it's been off a few times it's easy but they can stick on good while sitting and may take some whacks.

2nd point, ground the blue/black wire from the engine while checking spark. have just the blue wire going into the coil directly. this omits any possible issues in the killswitch wiring or brake light wiring that could also make it not spark. This way you also don't need to worry about any of the wires going up to the controls or behind the headlights. IF those are your problem at least you'll know, you can bypass and check spark and veriy everything else works and eitherbypass the killswitch for everyday use or focus on rewiring.

3rd there's just the spade connector blue wire going into the coil. unbolt the coil, twist out the plug wire if you're keeping that. the other wire on the coil's a ground and I think it should just be and eyelet bolted on around one of the coil bolts.

If you mean removing the wires from the 4 wire connector block, with a small driver you can carefully pull those wires out individually but what I usually do is cut that block out and splice in some simple crimp connectors to reconnect each wire individually. that way you can easily disconnect and reconnect each wire, and it's easier to shorten wires and hide them under the frame to tidy up the aesthetics or whatever.

thats a nice cover, get a couple paint sticks and tap gently out with confidence.

Thank you all for the input, I think I have enough information to get this thing running now.

« Go to Topic — end of thread