Taylor's Hobbit. timing seems way off

IMG_20190101_094844.jpg

Taylor came up here from the Bay area with he is Hobbit. Compression 95. Had a bu8h put in a b5hs just because I've had problems with cw s favorite plug. Look like the 1977 cdi. The cam follower is set via woodruff. I get 45-50 degrees before tdc when I use a timing light. Are these thing usually set without the woodruff or am I seeing this wrong.

Re: Taylor's Hobbit. timing seems way off

Might be using the wrong rotor.

Baron Von Hamilton /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Might be using the wrong rotor.

I have been thinking about this all day. Most are timed around 20*. Sometimes the cams won’t adapts to other flywheels. Maybe some crosses over and a 3 coil cam matches some 2 coil flywheel.....idk

I found another post where it was 1.1 mm from tdc. I had one years ago and I couldn't time it then and sold it. His intermittently ran with the keyway in and when cam follower rotated approx 15 degrees clockwise but never got it timed in a reasonable strobe finding. Then like he initially we wrote it then because unstartable. I think I want to leak test the engine. And sort of starting at the beginning. It looks well put together and is a nice bike. Whether it's the right flywheel or not it has four magnets and I just wasn't getting the right.setting with the keyway out. I felt like I was somehow rotating it clockwise or counterclockwise wrong. Next time I'm taking copious notes of relative position of keyway position of crank vs the keyway in the flywheel.

Do we agree that the small.coil at 11 pm of 12 hours on the face is the trigger ?

When I marked tdc found with a dial gauge to overlapping marks on the case and the flywheel and then when running the trobe shot the make on the flywheel occurring g about 45 degrees counterclockwise to the tdc mark on the case. And it seemed impossible to get it better. I know I took something easy and made it impossible. Anyway we will try another day.

The stock points and cdi rotors are different. The aftermarket cdi uses a points cam though. If the stator was installed to replace a bad stock cdi stator and the original cam was used it will never run. Also 95 psi is horribly low if it was measured right.

It's the aftermarket cam follower ( short thing )

After looking closer at the pictures that appears to be a stock stator. The aftermarket ones I have seen including the one I owned have a trigger coil that is encased in plastic and not an open wind.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> After looking closer at the pictures that appears to be a stock stator.

> The aftermarket ones I have seen including the one I owned have a

> trigger coil that is encased in plastic and not an open wind.

I take that back. The stock cdi had two coils and the points had 3. Just an old ass one or a different manufacturer I guess.

U think that's a stock Hobbit cdi stator ?

The flywheel is a cev one as I recall Taylor please post a picture it the flywheel please.

Sorry, terrible light in my garage

52C928DD-39B9-4F15-8478-040269BA25D4.jpeg

1D7F99D7-2487-4B88-B8B3-493CC2050FE4.jpeg

E0F5FCE0-5087-4179-A1AB-DEF7F5CEF372.jpeg

The x on it is to match the three holes on the cam follower. Not because the flywheel is bad. At tdc the two red lines allign with the keyway in. And when strobed it was 45 to 50 degrees as.measured with a degree wheel counter clockwise. (.remember it probably flashes 180 degrees also .

Did you mark the holes with an X to NOT use them? If the bolder red line you have drawn is where you are calling tdc then you are using the wrong holes. Note here

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Flywheels_for_Honda._How_do_I_tell_the_difference_between_CDI_and_points_style%3F

That the keyway (you can see the shadow of where the gap was) is not directly on one of the holes but about 2/3 the way between them.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/19 07:05PM by ihazvalves.

Ryan I was afraid the x would be confusing. I measured the distances between each of the three bumps on the key way and one was different two were the same. Then I measured the distances between flywheel holes. I put an x on the one unique distance on the flywheel and it's mate on the cam follower. That let me line up all three bumps to their correct holes. There is only one way all three holes have a cam follower bump when mounting. Now Taylor and I have to compare his cam follower to the post u graciously found to.make sure that cam follower is the correct one.

In fact In Taylor's post u can see little black rings around the three holes we used. The x is between the unique distanced one. Not relational to the one just below it.

But if those are the only two flywheels then because his has but two openings it suggests it's a points flywheel I guess and not a cdi one. But if u ditch the keyway wouldn't either be time able ?? To the CDI ?

Can you not use the other 3 holes? Because the ones you are using do not appear to put tdc in the correct location.

I'll try but I think the whole way those three holes are done is to make it impossible to do any other way but I'll try I promise you I will

The three holes, yes. But there are 6. I can't tell by the picture but I wonder if there is a second set of 3 that will align. They are asymmetric to prevent you from screwing it up... but, China. If it really doesn't fit any other way then I would say you have the wrong flywheel, rotor, or stator.

Agreed !

Is that grounding ring hanging there significant?

Just a note, never spin your CDI equipped motor without all the connections routed an the HT cable grounded.

Where do you see a loose ring? All three appear to be grounded to the coil's core that I can see?

Looks like it is supposed to ground to the missing cover. Its at the top of each pic, outside the ignition compartment.

Who knows what thats for what with crazy wire setups.

Can confirm that it is supposed to ground to the missing cover

Didn’t catch that while we were workin on it

Ugg wtf is that now I see.

Oh that's the lighting ground for the bike's harness. Hobbit has a full floating lighting ground. The CDI should have been grounded on it's own and wouldn't affect timing, and the HT coil is also grounded through it's mount.

Taylor came up here again this morning and we did a leak down ( well modified because I used the reeds as the check valve for the intake) but it was tight as could be.

The cam follower and the flywheel is definitely points and we managed to set it at about 20 degrees before tdc. And it started up. And the idle needs work. Sounds a bit rich but strong. The cam follower is rotated off the keyway alot. Taylor has a picture on his phone for our last placement. OMG give me a hpi mini any day but as long as the cam doesn't rotate it's ok.

How this thing ran so well with the keyway in is beyond my understanding. And why it stopped running with the fall off the stand is totally unfathomable.

But it's nice to have someone drive for hours and leave with a running moped. I'm still suspicious that it's running now is somehow related to the idea that if u put enough monkeys in a room with typewriters eventually the complete encyclopedia Britannica will emerge.

Huge shout out to marc for being so generous with his time and efforts to get this bike back on its’ feet. The moped is indeed still running, I believe it’s running a lot hotter than it should be, should not be getting into the low 400s just going up and down my block. So I am led to believe that there is still more work to be done, but enough mopeds for one day...

C20711E6-63B8-47BF-B027-C01FFDC252CD.jpeg