Vespa Si Clutch / Starter wackiness

So.... My moped refuses to start because the clutch doesn't turn over - therefore not turning the belt and engine. The clutch bell & starter shoes are brand new. I have tried reversing the starter shoe arrangement with no effect. The engine and rear transmission both turn easily. It basically acts as if its in bicycle mode always. I can turn the wheel with the variator and turn the clutch over easily by hand. The starter clutch surface is clean and consistent. Any ideas whats going on???

Re: Vespa Si Clutch / Starter wackiness

pedal faster, also make sure yr starter shoes move freely and those starter springs are right and they in the right direction, try both ways again. its not in pedal mode.

If looking into the bell, pads should be on the top of the right shoe and bottom of the left shoe.

You may need to do some clean/sanding to get a better grab out of them

Here's a clip with the starter shoes reversed. Bites harder, but doesnt turn the clutch. Still baffled.

Baron Von Hamilton /

Could it be an issue of the belt?

post a pict of yr starter shoes

> alex . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If looking into the bell, pads should be on the top of the right shoe

> and bottom of the left shoe.

>

> You may need to do some clean/sanding to get a better grab out of them

^^^^^

That

Pictured attached of shoes during first video.... ( flipped for second )

20181230_164816.jpg

Looking in the center, shit looks wet.

Clear out the grease, maybe get new seals (i pretty much never do). Carb cleaner/brake cleaner and a lil sand paper will do you a lot of good. Be sure to hit the pads and the starter bell both.

The center is wet bc I chamfered the woodruff keyway to ease it slipping on and off. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and whats pictured is the residual. The clutch is clean and dry. How much lube do you give the roller bearings inside the clutch?

Very very little

I've done all the usual things, clean, sand, etc.. I'd really prefer to not buy a new clutch as I have several clutches in great shape I've swapped out with no effect. Does anyone have any other ideas?

looks all aftermarket, hmm. make sure the arms swing/pivot easy. the arms aint swinging out so just take the springs out just to ensure the starter clutches catch. then id stretch the springs a little so they easier swing out but not so much that they wont pull back in. on old rusty pin posts ive sanded em and smeared grease on em to make sure they pivot easy.

When you swap clutches are you using the same bell

Yes to what Pat says. Take the springs out and try it. If they dont turn the belt then you need to massage the shoes and run face of the bell.

Say Josh , did get this sorted out bud?

I have not sorted this out yet. I have tried /swapped three different bells, the one in the video / pic which is new, a Euro type with the stepped features and a USA 'grenade' type. Consistent results across. I will try with no starter springs and see what happens.

Use older/weaker springs on the starter pads

« Go to Topic — end of thread