Installing new seals.

When installing new seals should one put a lubricant on the inside (crankshaft) edge and a sealer on the outside (case) edge. If yes, what lube and sealer do you recommend? Thanks Jack.

Re: Installing new seals.

Sealer no, but a little bit of 2t wouldn't hurt on the inner lip.

Just dunk the whole seal in oil immediately before placing it .

Wipe off the external excess if it won't be in an oil bath .

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Ive gotten into the habit (especially on tomos trans. side seal) of putting a super thin layer of motoseal/hondabond on the outer lip of the seal to keep them from walking out over time. I think on top of helping the seal stay in place after it's cured, it helps get the seal installed a little easier as it acts like a lubricant while fluid.

Of course, oil/lightly grease the inner lips of the seal too. If your seal lips are bunching up or the spring is popping off, i find it helps to rotate the seal a little bit while popping the inner lip onto the sealing surface/shaft .(edited)

I also put a smear of bearing retainer to hold my seals in from walking.

I've never had a seal 'wander' out of position .

It might just be because I've had the pleasure of working on mostly Japanese cases .

But , even on the China stuff I've worked on , no problems .

On v1 and morini they take a metal seal and if you use rubber seals on a big boy set up sometimes they like to puke out of there. I used some bearing retainer last time and its been holding strong since. I use green locktite on all my seals and e50 magneto side bearings too, a little extra staying power doesnt hurt.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> On v1 and morini they take a metal seal and if you use rubber seals on a

> big boy set up sometimes they like to puke out of there. I used some

> bearing retainer last time and its been holding strong since. I use

> green locktite on all my seals and e50 magneto side bearings too, a

> little extra staying power doesnt hurt.

Good to know .

Agreed . A little extra staying power is better than not enough . Insurance .

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account