Honda Urban Express burning smell smoke from the cylinder area

Ran fine this summer. Tried to start it up, but nothing happened. I checked the plug and had a spark and it was not fouled. I sprayed some starter fluid in through the airbox and it started right up. I turned a few screws on the carb to adjust the idle and then I started to smell something burning and smoke from the cylinder head area. I turned it off right away. I did look for a thread on this but did not find anything. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Honda Urban Express burning smell smoke from the cylinder area

Captain Janeway /

If it was running I don't know why you threw starter fluid in the airbox. Smoke could be what, spraying it on cylinder?

Check for spark, gas flow and air leaks. Wiki and your manual have directions (you can find manual in www.projectmoped.com). If it's a stock setup it's easier to troubleshoot. Don't know how long it's been since it was running but you may try a good carb cleaning too.

Thank you. Yes it is all stock. To clarify, it would not start after storing for a few months. It did have spark and the plug was not fouled. Is it okay to start and troubleshoot without damaging the engine? Could the started fluid have caused the burning smell? I will do some research on project moped. Thank you.

Captain Janeway /

After sitting it probably could use a good carb clean, and you shouldn't need to throw in starter fluid to get it going. Check the easy stuff like are you actually getting gas.

Make sure you're setting the screws on the carb correctly.,

Try and restart now that the starter fluid has had a chance to evaporate. I can't figure where you put the starter fluid. In the carb? If yes, drain the carb through the drain screw at the base (you don't have to take things apart for this), and double check that you're actually getting gas coming out of your fuel line. May be as simple as that.

Also sitting you may just have some oil sitting in the exhaust or something and it smells from your first time run.

The manual is your friend. It will get you through just about anything on a stock bike.

Thank you for your all input. I drained the carb., checked the fluids and I did need oil in the crankcase, checked to see if the oil pump was working and then adjusted the carb air/throttle. Not sure if it was smoking because of the starter fluid or because of very low oil, but it the problem is resolved. Also, is there any to donate on this site as I am very appreciative of the help.

Thank you.

Captain Janeway /

Oil in crankcase? You mean final reduction? Near the back wheel?

Anyway good luck. I've never seen a way to donate.

For Urban info just do a wiki search for NU50, then Urban going back all dates and just read threads for interesting stuff to do if you want to mod your bike. You'll find tons of info in there.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> Jay Wand Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> and I did need oil in the crankcase,

LOL, not another one?

Yes, final reduction.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account