Honda Hobbit fuel starvation/low power

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I have a 78' pa50 that I got as a barn find. The moped currently runs but it frequently has low power and acts like it is out of gas.

Here's what I've done so far:

-Installed new carburetor (I cleaned the original several times before replacing)

-replaced top end gaskets and both crank seals

-cleaned and lapped decompression valve

-replaced/set ignition points

-replaced petcock/cleaned tank

-replaced air filter/cleaned air box

-de-carboned exhaust

-checked for air leaks

-checked/cleaned the reed valve

I thought it could be the gas cap vent so I tried it with no gas cap and it's still acting like it's out of fuel. It really seems lean to me but the spark plug is grey/ tan in color.

Once in a while it will run good for a few days but then go back to weak, pathetic and barely running.

Any ideas? This hobbit really has me stumped

Thanks in advance

-Max

Re: Honda Hobbit fuel starvation/low power

Josiah Radebaugh /

Don't know much about hobbits, but try cleaning the Petcock and flush the tank while your there.

Clean the stock carb again, and differently (better). Put it back on. Clean the petcock again.

Did you install an additional in line fuel filter? As DPC Ryan said, these carbs are extremely suseptable to a small amount of debris. You have to remove the Welch plug and clean all orifices with a guitar string. Make sure your clone carb has a 78 main jet

I don't have an inline on it. I removed the welsh plug from the stock carb and ultrasonically cleaned it several times but I'll give it another try. I'm going to pull the clone and check the float height and main jet size.

Could there be an electrical problem causing these symptoms?

Use extremely thin wire on the carb.

^inline filter, and put the og carb back. i just switched out two cheep clones to the og carbs on a coupla hobbits, much better.

u can try running half choke to see if it picks up, just wedge the arm, if it does then your lean, check air filter as well.

Check the air intake “snorkel” to make sure it’s not obstructed.

Pa 1 or 2. If I an aftermarket clone might be way way too rich.

If 2 u could try an aftermarket expansion chamber or if 1 maybe redo the pipe clean. If a 1 only thing that works is a pa 1 pipe. I think I have a spare I will sell u for shipping plus $10 to pay for gas to the post office.

3. Air box issues and the little filter that fits in.an unmolested airbox area of the subframe might be at work.

There is a little screen in the pet-cock, if there is any crud in the tank these can plug up and restrict flow, check this, if clone go back to og carb, and if you are not already aware this is the PA-50I so stock top speed is only 20mph. One other thing to consider is a sticking rear variator, can hold the bike around 15mph or so, worth checking. If it sticks intermittently it may explain running "well" for a while and poorly at other times.

I decided to check the points again and opened up the gap. It is running very good now with the clone carb. I made sure to buy the pa50I carb when I ordered it. For now I'll keep running the clone carb and swap it back if any problems come up. Thanks for the help and suggestions

Congrats !! I have some pa1 stuff in a box. If u need anything email me.

If you want to convert it to a near-PAII, I’ve got everything except the vario ramp plate to do that.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account