Katia single front sprocket not turning , clutch issues?

Evening guys I’m looking for some advice. I have just restored a single speed kick start Katia. When starting it runs fine, with just a bit of fine tuning needed regarding the mixture. What I did notice is the front sprocket isn’t turning at all. I can move it easily with my hand but when the engine is running nothing happens. Where should I start In trying to diagnose the issue? Any advise is much appreciated thanks

Re: Katia single front sprocket not turning , clutch issues?

If the nut is tight that holds it on the output shaft and you can see the shaft turning also one of two things is the problem. 1) the output shaft has snapped (which is not likely) 2) the main gear nut is loose(this is most likely your problem). To check the main gear nut pull your clutch cover and check the nut on the big gear that the clutch bell turns. It takes a 17mm socket to tighten it and is a common problem with Garelli's.

Ah great thanks for your help I will attempt that and see what happens, cheers

Post back

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Post back

Hey Stephen great advice! it was really loose, and now I’ve tightened it up. should the outer metal disc spin freely around the clucth it’s self? At the minute the outer disc can spin around and the inner rubber start doesn’t seem to offer much in the shape of friction. Also a little rubber bush fell out when I took the crankcase cover off, I’m really not sure what it is, it doesn’t look like it serves a purpose. Any further help is much appreciated, I’m only used to working on classic cars so mopeds are a new ketttle of fish all together.

473F0AF8-CA2F-4923-A939-D7E1EE3B8023.jpeg
8DE7FCEF-B194-4961-9AB0-7A45F0F6E2E8.jpeg

Just had a thought and I guess the centrifugal force will push the rubber out enough to create the friction needed. Still lost on the rubber spacer though haha

> Luke Whinham Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just had a thought and I guess the centrifugal force will push the

> rubber out enough to create the friction needed. Still lost on the

> rubber spacer though haha

You're correct on how the clutch works. To be honest I'm not sure on the rubber bushing either. I've never seen one in any of my engines.

Yea it seems strange as it doesn’t even look like it has a place anywhere . Thanks for your help mate

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account