Sandpaper or steel wool?

I'm going to patch the plastic panels on my Bravo. But I'm wonder if even the finest grade sand paper will be tough to paint over, or just use 0000 steel wool?

Re: Sandpaper or steel wool?

You can get very fine sanding paper. If your going to paint get a hi build primer to fill the fine sanding marks.

How big a patch? Your going to really need to scuff the plastic. I would recomend 80grit, lay down the epoxy or what ever your gonna use. Then sand that with a finger grit, maybe 180 and definitely use high build primer.

IMG_20181208_0847505_rewind.jpg

IMG_20181208_0847505_rewind.jpg

They are splits Alex, I plan to Drexel them lightly, epoxy, sand. But the rest of the panels are good. I feel sanding might not be the best choice. High build primer sounds good, but I don't do body work , so ill locate it first. Thanks guys.

i think the trick is to find what sticks. ive done tomos streetmate plastics w abs glue because they are made outta abs, prime then glue. once its dry it sticks.

on a bravo cover id try anything around first, but i think "permatex" plastic weld on a cleaned spot inside . it's knife grade consistancy and smells like the dentist office. once it sets scratch like crazy to see if u can peel it off. if it sticks, it'll sand down without splitting.

You might look into plastic welding . It's fairly simple and permanent .

I've done it . Find some like material . I've taken material from an edge or unseen place of the same piece being repaired .

Please post your results.

Ok Marc, will do. BTW, I found a video while looking for plastic welding, found this lady who uses a dremel type tool. She got styrene rods at hobby store, locked them in, went to town. The rpms generated enough friction heat that laid down a good enough bead. I got one last hobby shop to check tomorrow , or get them online. Looked impressive. I' take pics of every step and post.

What exact plastic do u think the covers are made out of ?

Mine are the type toy trucks and shit are made of. It's worth a try....

Re: Bravo side panel progress

27C18C08-E177-4BD6-B1E1-4B99504FD3DA.jpeg

27C18C08-E177-4BD6-B1E1-4B99504FD3DA.jpeg

Got back the the side panels.removed the Bravo badges, degreased panels hot soapy water, light sanding , followed with mr.clean eraser pad ,rinse, dried. Mixed up plastic bonding , outside of course! Now curing 24,hours. On the basement bench.

Shoe us the actual bonding product. They look great

003D8A3A-CDDD-4C09-9872-067CE06AB96F.jpeg

I don’t know if it shows well, but it’s almost clear as it cures.

772B092C-6CEB-492E-B88E-DA679F6BA5C5.jpeg

So sand it ,Bondo , primer , final coat ? . So that's what I hoped my friend was going to g to do and find ish it the same grey as he shot the headlight in but alas he bugged out , lost the primo set I left him and I just bought a nos from Angelo. But that's what I would do if I had the skills. Real auto not rattle.

I do the rattle, don't know anyone who sprays. But I'll put 3 coats grey, give it a good drying time, 3-4 coats clear coat Marc. That's how I did the headlight & rear light bracket.I'll keep posting the progress.

I'm enjoying your progress. Keep it up, Les!

Baron Von Hamilton /

Good job man! Your on the right track! I have painted side covers before and it has held up really well. Make sure you scuff every up. I left it a litttle ruffer than I normally would and use filler primer. Ended up working well in the end.

Still in the bike like this after a few years of riding.

EA76F13A-E7E0-4FF6-B0DA-49285FB8662F.jpeg

Looks good Baron!

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks good Baron!

Looks better with the seat

Baron Von Hamilton /

Thanks!

8B6A60A5-5A86-47F5-9F56-7FCE7A45E379.jpeg

I mean I guess you have to see it all together....hahahahah

I am surprised how well it has held up. I mean it is paint on plastic. I did the battery box too.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/19 06:57PM by erich.

I think the filling primer is the key. All the side covers i painted chipped away within a year

I know you got most your gluing done now but if you ever need to do a plastic repair again, here's a useful bit of info. Acetone actually can melt some plastics. if your side covers are made of abs, you can actually melt some other abs into a goop and then put that on/in/around your broken spots. it will harden and become one solid piece of plastic that you can then sand and do what ever else you want to.

Baron Von Hamilton /

This will help me with my Ciao side covers. I have some cracks that I don’t want to break! I’ll give it a shot.

I thought about that after I did the work. I'll remember that Caleb...pick up some toy trucks at the dollar store, keep them handy.

Have you verified that these are ABS? I've been following this, because mine are in the same condition. I was planning on removing the dry, chipping, cracked plastic, then filling with plastic-weld epoxy, dyed grey to match with epoxy dye, then sanding and shaping to match. But if they are ABS, then dissolving ABS may be the solution.

Got them done. Had to wait for a warm up

AE039A89-556A-4A67-93D5-7B8BEB51D294.jpeg

07D5778D-F8E3-456D-8036-0FBF88F79089.jpeg

Captain Janeway /

NIce! Clean and shiny and look brand new!

« Go to Topic — end of thread