NU50 Clutch Pulley

Hope this is the right place to post this. First post, anyway.

Recently picked up an '83 NU50. Pretty rough and needs quite a bit of work. Looks like it has been outside for years. Anyway, just looked at the centrifugal clutch and the rear pulley is rusted through.

Just curious as to if there are any aftermarket pulleys or clutches that will work? I can check measurements and such, but I thought someone on here might know off of the top of their head. I also know some people in these forums probably have the part, as well.

Re: NU50 Clutch Pulley

Jack Rutherford /

gy6 clutch will work but not the associated pulley unless you can make it work. For that matter, I would think any 107mm clutch would work. Others can confirm or deny.(edited)

Are you the guy who has the videos related to NC50s, QT50's, etc?

Associated as in the pulley on the NU50 won't work with that clutch, or the pulley that comes with the clutch won't work on the ped itself?

Jack Rutherford /

Treatland once shipped me an entire gy6 clutch assembly with pulley. The pulley that came with the gy6 clutch won't work on the nu50. I didn't try to make it work. I've taken rusty pulleys apart and sanded them down on a belt sander before. But if the rust is too bad, oh well. I am that guy.

Alrighty. I'll see if someone has a reasonable stock pulley (not rusted through).

Cool. Lot of help from you, sir.

An NX50 rear clutch/pulley should also fit and I believe one or two of them were being parted out recently.

Those do seem to be cheaper, on eBay, at least.

You've had success doing this?

I've had both in my hands, and the transmissions apart.

Okay. Thanks for that. Certainly saves me some money.

This is unrelated, but I don't want to create a new thread (but I will if I'm supposed to).

Are any of the Express mufflers cross compatible?

Not really, no.

I suppose almost any muffler could be made to fit , if you had a hack saw and welder . ;)

Jack Rutherford /

nc50 exhaust is shorter than nu50 exhaust and mounting points at right side are at different lengths. nc50 exhausts are generally cheaper on ebay. Actually, best deal is to get a used hobbit exhaust off treatland for $15 and saw off the header and weld it to whatever you want. best price on an nc50 exhaust for same process is usually around $40.

If you want to test your hobbit header with a biturbo or Estoril exhaust or whatever, you can easily do so without welding by using copper pipe fittings from your local hardware store. Get some 3/4" pipe, 45 degree elbows and some self-drilling screws and in about 45 minutes, you'll have the hobbit header and expansion chamber connected. General rule is header length should be about 8 times its diameter.(edited)

I think you're set here

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account