Puch Maxi Idle and arcing

Cam Haley /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

So I am wrapping up my maxi restoration (hopefully) and can't get it to hold an idle for long.

Here are the stats:

-rebuilt w/ super stuffy crank, new bearings and seals

-70cc Treats Kit (chamfered ports, ring gap to spec, no case matching, torqued to spec)

-high flow air filter, biturbo exhaust

-15mm bing clone w/217 atomizer, 82 jet (for break in period), 2nd from top clip

-stock ignition, new plug, timing set to 16 and gap set to .017 w/feeler gauge

Before I put the kit on, I got it to idle fine despite my cheapo harbor freight compression tester telling me that I only had 30PSI (I all but know that's BS). Didn't tune it because I knew I'd be taking off the stock pipe and upgrading the cylinder. It would die after a while but I attributed that to the 15mm intake/carb and a jet that was likely way too rich.

Put on the kit very meticulously and torqued all the cylinder nuts to 7ft/lbs. Now, the bike will start after two or three kicks, however it will only idle for a few minutes at a time, and after the bike warms up it will not idle and is very hard to start. THATS WHEN I NOTICED CONSISTENT ARCING AT IDLE. I bought two new condensers, tested them both individually, they are both functional as caps (mounted outside of the stator). However, I STILL get arcing. Video here:

Despite damn near perfect gap and timing, and cleaning the points with super fine dry/wet sand paper then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, they still arc like a mofo. I should note, I have checked for air leaks countless times and there are none in the usual spots (intake to cylinder, intake to bing, etc) or anywhere. I have new Bosch points on the way and I'm dangerously close to buying a VM20 and new intake.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to get this thing running better than stock. My questions are:

Why are those damn points still arcing???

What is that metallic clinking I hear???

Why do I have to put all my weight (185) on the pedal now to turn over the engine??

Other than vacuum leaks and weak spark, why does my idle die after a few minutes when I unscrew to a nice, mellow idle?

Thanks

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Puch Maxi Idle and arcingTopic by: Cam Haley Cam Haley 11/03/18 10:24PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 11/03/18 10:25PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Don Ohio Don Ohio 11/03/18 11:25PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 11/04/18 12:38AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: pat splat pat splat 11/04/18 01:29PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Probably Fred Probably Fred 11/04/18 03:01PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 11/04/18 11:08PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 11/04/18 11:04PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 01/01/22 10:11PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Laurie Tomkinjson Laurie Tomkinjson 11/18/18 10:01AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: cheetahchrome . cheetahchrome . 11/18/18 11:21AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: P D P D 11/18/18 11:37AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: cheetahchrome . cheetahchrome . 11/18/18 11:53AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: P D P D 11/18/18 12:25PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: cheetahchrome . cheetahchrome . 11/18/18 01:15PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: P D P D 11/18/18 03:43PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" 03/21/19 10:39AM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: P D P D 03/21/19 04:12PM
  Re: Puch Maxi Idle and arcingRe: Cam Haley Cam Haley 01/01/22 10:11PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account