Hobbit fell off center stand...

hey guys, i usually work on my hobbit with it's stand on a 2 by 4 just to get it that much more off the ground. the other day it tipped/fell over onto it's right side and now i have issues. it does not sound/ride/rev the same. it also overheats whereas it didn't before...

what could have happened from the bike just falling over like that? (it did fall over hard enough/from high enough to bend my pedal arm so who knows?)

help/guidance?

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Check what ever is under the right side case cover .

Check the carb . Crap may have redistributed where you don't want it .

Check all your electrical connections , including grounding points . They have to be clean and scratch tight .(edited)

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

how many beers deep tho

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Probably bent or twisted the crankshaft.(edited)

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

It's pretty hard to hit the crank directly with he floor, especially with the stand down. Would take half a second of watching it run to tell though. Sediment in the float bowl may have clogged crap up. There's very little that is affected by being on it's side in a moped. How long did you run it? If you pooled fuel in the cases you will need to get it out for a few minutes of really rough running.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

was it running when it fell? sheared the key on the flywheel maybe

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Was running totally normally when it fell... it still runs, just abnormally. Have a new cdi box coming in the mail-my bike is great at frying them, and every other time my bike has had overheating/running issues it has been my cdi box and $7 is totally affordable even if it’s not the fix... waiting for the box and I’m gonna go from there-hoping I didn’t ruin any of the engines innards.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Check the pipe. Is it dented from the fall restricting it or somehow otherwise obstructed.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

> taylor Vogel Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Was running totally normally when it fell... it still runs, just

> abnormally. Have a new cdi box coming in the mail-my bike is great at

> frying them, and every other time my bike has had overheating/running

> issues it has been my cdi box and $7 is totally affordable even if it’s

> not the fix... waiting for the box and I’m gonna go from there-hoping I

> didn’t ruin any of the engines innards.

You need to be figuring out why you are going through cdi boxes.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Yeah just chalking them up to the cost of running is not the answer.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

So not the cdi box... also swapped in a spare coil I had..no dice. The bike has spark and the engine turns over and everything, it just baaarely start. Seems like the timing is effed somehow. Possible something could have happened to my cdi stator plate from the fall?

This bike was literally runnin perfectly before it fell, which makes this way more frustrating than it should be. Any other leads on what could have happen from the fall?

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Dude I mentioned the exhaust. Take it off and see if it starts. Don't Rev it much etc. Just see if it starts.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

It sounds like ignition timing has changed. Do you know how to check it?

Do you have an automotive timing light to check it with? Hook it up to 12 volt car/lawnmower battery or a power supply and check it.

If the magneto cover was off while running it when it fell over, then flywheel may have rotated.

Also, remove spark plug and rotate engine by hand using flywheel. Does it rotate smoothly ?(edited)

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

In the time since I last posted I have rebuilt my motor (new piston, honed cylinder, new seals, new gaskets). The bike fired up after the rebuild and I rode it around the block for 7 minutes or so to make sure it didn’t overheat or anything else funky happen. After about 10 minutes of riding the moped pooped out and will not start again.. took off the head and cylinder to make sure there wasn’t any friction or scoring-there was none, also to check if any of the seals blew-negative. Although an unusal amount of grey ish colored grease all over the inside of the cylinder and piston- how could that much oil have gotten into my engine while running for that short period of time? Also, why would the moped have ran great for a matter of minutes and then died?

Thanks

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

You don't just throw new stuff together and "ride" it. You can wipe rings out very quickly doing that.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

That wasn’t part of the reason I removed the cylinder again, and they appear fine.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Is there gas getting to the cylinder ?

Is there spark ?

I've done some silly things like forgetting to fill the tank after pulling things apart.

Decomp closing?

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

> taylor Vogel Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That wasn’t part of the reason I removed the cylinder again, and they

> appear fine.

Meant was. And yes it is getting gas.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

that grey grease is grease plus aluminum shavings from your case mixed together. did u pull the rubber covers off yr "new" bearings?

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Rubber cover? I used the existing bearings, just new seals. The only new parts are seals/gaskets/piston, and a freshly honed cylinder. The aluminum shavings makes sense for the color- is that normal tho?

And kind of coming back full circle- why would bike have ridden great for a matter of minutes and then poop out?

DPC Ryan stated that I can’t just rebuild the motor then ride it? What should/am I supposed to do/check beforehand?

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Put it back on the center stand and knock it over again.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Wait...so u didn't split the case and totally redo. Instead u put in new seals and did the top end ? I am trying to understand the aluminum shavings because you just examined the entire piston and the Piston has no loss of aluminum. Well on second thought if u pulled the Piston off con rod and clips and the conrod / needle bearing etc now are toast because somehow they went on wrong that could be a place for aluminum from the Piston And u examined the entire head and there's nothing that is leaking aluminum there and the kit is cast iron so aluminum shavings are coming from somewhere else like somehow from the case ? If the outside of the bearings were somehow not seated right , I guess they could begin to eat the case. When u had the jug off did the crank spin nice ? The inability to again restart with gas and spark starts suggesting a leak. If I had this engine I would perform a true leak down not some spraying something at the engine even if it were running. I'm not quite at the point of offering to rebuild the engine gratis and I don't don't don't this ever for compensation seeing I'm not at the level of the Masters. Too bad u don't live nearby because it would be a hoot to figure this out.

Yeah I'm thinking out loud and please check the needle bearing on the conrod. But if it's not binding the motor should run until it disintegrates. So I'm reaching here

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Captain Janeway /

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wait...so u didn't split the case and totally redo. Instead u put in new

> seals and did the top end ? I am trying to understand the aluminum

> shavings because you just examined the entire piston and the Piston has

> no loss of aluminum. Well on second thought if u pulled the Piston off

> con rod and clips and the conrod / needle bearing etc now are toast

> because somehow they went on wrong that could be a place for aluminum

> from the Piston And u examined the entire head and there's nothing that

> is leaking aluminum there and the kit is cast iron so aluminum shavings

> are coming from somewhere else like somehow from the case ? If the

> outside of the bearings were somehow not seated right , I guess they

> could begin to eat the case. When u had the jug off did the crank spin

> nice ? The inability to again restart with gas and spark starts

> suggesting a leak. If I had this engine I would perform a true leak down

> not some spraying something at the engine even if it were running. I'm

> not quite at the point of offering to rebuild the engine gratis and I

> don't don't don't this ever for compensation seeing I'm not at the level

> of the Masters. Too bad u don't live nearby because it would be a hoot

> to figure this out.

>

> Yeah I'm thinking out loud and please check the needle bearing on the

> conrod. But if it's not binding the motor should run until it

> disintegrates. So I'm reaching here

I didn't understand the shavings either unless you had a piston blow or something. I'm getting a case cleaned due to a detonated piston. What a mess! You said it was running before it was dropped though. Not familiar enough with Hobbits to give a good repair possibility.

Suggestion for next time you have a problem like this: put it back to previous state before throwing extra parts at it. Makes it easier to troubleshoot. Good luck.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

It was running before it fell. That’s why this is such a headache because I have no idea what it could be, can only narrow things down. Also curious as to why it ran after the reassembling then didn’t after a matter of minutes

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Taylor I didn't know you live in SF !! Pull that motor and get up to my Villa in Davis and let's fix it.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Taylor I didn't know you live in SF !! Pull that motor and get up to my

> Villa in Davis and let's fix it.

I feel like bringing the whole bike would be more helpful, it’s is just as easy for me. I’d like to take you up on this offer if you’re serious as the help from someone that is more familiar with mopeds than myself would be way more than appreciated. Please pm if you’d like to help me out. I can even compensate if necessary-I’d just like to get this moped back on the road. Has been a headache since September.

Re: Hobbit fell off center stand...

Check compression, you may have wiped the rings out regardless of what they look like to you. That grey paste was made by something getting shaved, ground, or pulverized.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account