evil electrical demons

Ok,

I have an old puch maxi that I have had forever... literally. 10 years ago or so i went through and kitted it and the whole 9 yards. ripped as best it could with my fatness on it. She was glorious...

A few days ago, she died mid-ride. Got her home and no spark. I have gone through everything. wiring check, ground check, kill switch check, points checked, new spark plug check, new boot check.

Is there a way to trace electrical using a multi meter to see whats up?

FYI the horn gives a half-harted rattle if i hold it while trying to start, so I'm getting juice that far yeah?

Re: evil electrical demons

...Check the tail lights and clean sockets replace bad bulbs.....Check spark ........Was the horn working before this happened.....?

im pretty sure your spark has to do with the horn,puchy tech. i guess on long rides carry a spare.

Disconnect wires from horn, and ground them. Then check spark. I bet it'll be good. Puch has a goofy wiring system that goes thru the horn for spark. Put a clown horn on the handlebars, and grin!

On all of the Puchs I own I ground the horn circuit and use a bell....

Fred Young /

So horn sucks. Got it. I'll rewire and see what happens. Thanks!

Did grounding your horn solve the problem?

sounds like a condensor

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. It was the light/horn switch. Took some fiddling but got it sorted out. Only glitch I've had, with the bike, in 16 years!

Fred Young /

no and yes.... sit tight and buckle up for an adventure (may be over selling this a touch)

I found though more searching a way to check for just spark. Connected the blue from stator right to the ignition coil and boom, spark galore! So i went though and wired everything again, with grounded horn. Everything worked but the tail lights now (and the horn, obviously). Since the ped now runs, I grabbed a voltmeter to check some stuff out:

Green wire 3 v at idle

Blue wire 3.1v at idle

yellow wire 2.8v at idle

grey wire .... zippo

My grey wire (tail light wire) from the stator is dead. So now what?

Probably Fred /

Service the magneto area good chance without lube that the points cam followler made of fiber wore down to nothing and the points won’t open

Fred Young /

points open... its running fine now, except for the dead grey wire.

Can i just cram the tail light wire into the yellow so that the headlight powers the tail light, or will the stator not push enough juice for both? other options?

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Service the magneto area good chance without lube that the points cam

> followler made of fiber wore down to nothing and the points won’t open

I would definitely follow Ken's advice. He is sharp on these matters. A wise man.

Fred Young /

Here's what I have... what do I need to do?

20180905_194152.jpg

Probably Fred /

> Fred Young Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> points open... its running fine now, except for the dead grey wire.

>

> Can i just cram the tail light wire into the yellow so that the

> headlight powers the tail light, or will the stator not push enough

> juice for both? other options?

No 21w coil for headlight and speedo 10w for brake light, 5 w coil for taillight

Make sure all Grounds are connected

Fred Young /

Ken... which is which? and if my grey is dead from coil do i need a new stator?

Fred Young /

Ok, so update. I ordered the 12v points setup from treats and like always it arrived before i ordered it...

I'll hook it up this weekend and let you know how it works. Should sort out my demons as it only has 2 wires. yellow for power and black for the kill switch.

Thanks for all of the advice and help

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account