Vespa Grande Removing the whole battery box and all that jazz...

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here has had great success in simplifying a Vespa Grande's electrical system to not have the battery or battery box ? My Bravo has no battery, the lighting sucks because of it, but I like having no battery..any recommendations either way ? If its best to leave it alone, I will for a while, but part of this is I want to just tie together the necessary wires in the headlight switch and replace the headlight with one with no switch or speedo, just a nice shell...and having a battery it will just always be drained anyway...

Thanks !

Re: Vespa Grande Removing the whole battery box and all that jazz...

DJLou Magnetos ($M$) /

Vespa Wiring Simplified. <------ Here is a post on simple wiring of a vespa moped. You can rewire with just three wires. Don't used the wire connected to the third coil for the battery. The headlight, taillight, and horn should run off the light coil.

If you ground the black wire from the engine that connects to the blue wire, you wont have to worry about no spark if the brake light bulb goes out. But then you won't have a brake light and only a running taillight.

Awesome ! Thank You !

Bad Cadillac™ /

The battery is for turn signals only... It does not matter if it's dead either, bike will still function and ride.(edited)

so, if I want to just remove it, is it as simple as pulling off the battery and the battery box, all the stuff in it, and just chopping the cable going into the box ?

Don't cut any cable. See if the blinkers work with the battery cables disconnected. If so tape and hide the unused cables.

The turn signals are completely separate and isolated from the rest of the electrical system. They won't work without the battery, though.(edited)

Don't ever give up a brake light. U r so lucky to have oem turn signals. Embrace it.

^This, for sure. Leave it stock, buy a battery every other year if you have to.

DJLou Magnetos ($M$) /

If you have the stock harness, I would leave that in.

There should be a third coil to power the battery/turn signals. I would tape or cap that power wire so it won't ground out. Then find some way to tuck the other wires away after removing the signals, battery, and boxes. Avoid cutting the stock wire harness and hold onto the signals and battery boxes just in case you want to put them back on in the future.

That's what I would do.

Sell me all the turn signals.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account