Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Marcel TheShell /

I'm having incredible difficulty with my exhaust nut. It seems like every 15 miles or so it rattles itself out. I've tried the Polini and generic brand copper gaskets from Treats and neither seem to do the trick. Am I being a wuss and not tightening it enough? Should I be using red loctite? Help me I'm going insaAaAaAne.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Locktite, lock wire, master lock. Whatever you can do to keep it on there.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Double nut if you can

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

As those wear out they fall off more and more easily. it's not a very convenient design. The best method from my experience is the safety wire, you drill a small hole thru the nut and a fin on the cylinder, and twist some safetywire tight, that way it can't spin off.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> As those wear out they fall off more and more easily. it's not a very

> convenient design. The best method from my experience is the safety

> wire, you drill a small hole thru the nut and a fin on the cylinder, and

> twist some safetywire tight, that way it can't spin off.

Yup. Cheap and easy solution.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

I will usually round the bike for about a half a day after I install then I crank it down tight and give it a couple small tack welds that can easily be ground out for removal later if need be

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Brad William /

Use metric threaded rod connectors. Lots more thread on the stud. Usually easier to reach with your socket too.

Ace probably has them.

And a good quality lock washer. Try to make sure the rear attachment to the muffler has room to move around a bit. That much length of metal under heat expands more than you think it might and if both ends are rigidly bolted there's nowhere to go... that expansion and contraction along with vibration tends to loosen shit up. (edited)

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Rick Bergsma /

I once bought a Motobecane that had the exhaust repaired like this .

Lots of intricate drilling and tapping involved.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

> Brad William Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Use metric threaded rod connectors. Lots more thread on the stud.

> Usually easier to reach with your socket too.

>

> https://5.imimg.com/data5/IT/PG/MY-22916962/fastener-rod-coupler-500x500.jpg

>

> Ace probably has them.

>

> And a good quality lock washer. Try to make sure the rear attachment to

> the muffler has room to move around a bit. That much length of metal

> under heat expands more than you think it might and if both ends are

> rigidly bolted there's nowhere to go... that expansion and contraction

> along with vibration tends to loosen shit up.

You have you have absolutely no clue how the Moby Exhaust mounts on a stock bike.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

> Neil Rayborn Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Brad William Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Use metric threaded rod connectors. Lots more thread on the stud.

>

> > Usually easier to reach with your socket too.

>

> >

>

> >

> https://5.imimg.com/data5/IT/PG/MY-22916962/fastener-rod-coupler-500x500.jpg

>

> >

>

> > Ace probably has them.

>

> >

>

> > And a good quality lock washer. Try to make sure the rear attachment

> to

>

> > the muffler has room to move around a bit. That much length of metal

>

> > under heat expands more than you think it might and if both ends are

>

> > rigidly bolted there's nowhere to go... that expansion and contraction

>

> > along with vibration tends to loosen shit up.

>

> You have you have absolutely no clue how the Moby Exhaust mounts on a

> stock bike.

Haha

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

> Rick Bergsma Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz181/salient49/IMG_0197.jpg

>

> http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz181/salient49/IMG_0196.jpg

>

> I once bought a Motobecane that had the exhaust repaired like this .

>

> Lots of intricate drilling and tapping involved.

truely necessity is the mother of all creation.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Marcel TheShell /

Pat! Hows it going!

I love this bike so much!

IMG_9096.JPG

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

glad u enjoying it, ill send that av7 4 ya one of these days.

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Kevin Edwards /

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Safety wire is easy to learn and can be used on all sorts of applications. Once you have the pliers and a roll of wire, which usually come in one pound cans and many thicknesses, you'll be using it everywhere you don't need parts coming off, especially at the wrong time. Ask me how I know!

Re: Motobecane Exhaust Falling Off

I'd bet bailing wire would work just as well , at a much lower price point . ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account