Head Gaskets: Metal, RTV, Both, Neither?!

I'm looking to get some advice on head gaskets. I've been trying to just use gray RTV as my head gasket and I've blown it out twice now so it's clear I need a better solution. In theory, is using a metal head gasket less likely to blow? Its hard for me to image no head gasket being leak proof. I've read that for that you want to lap the mating surfaces to a very fine polish. I have also heard that using a combination of a metal gasket and RTV is the best.

I think I'll get some varying answers but whats the best way to prevent it from blowing out?

PS- assume that the head is being torqued to 12ftlbs in a cross pattern.

Re: Head Gaskets: Metal, RTV, Both, Neither?!

RTV has no place in/on a motor , let alone a head gasket .

In reality , no theory needed , a metal head gasket or a combination metal over a non flammable substrate is best .

If the head is in questionable condition ( ie : warped or even very slightly so ) it should be dealt with . That by insuring a true flat mating surface .

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Once you learn a simple sanding technique, you'll never have to use head gaskets again with never a leak. If you search, you'll find many peeps use this this operation. A thick piece of glass, some fine sandpaper and 15 minutes of time will get your mating surfaces dead flat.

I always do this too and not run headgaskets. 3M wet dry 400 is as fine as I go.

Never have a leak.

Just sand in one direction straight out from your body with both hands on the head applying slight pressure on the out stroke. Then drag straight back with no pressure.

Repeat 10 times then quarter turn the head and do 10 more till the surface your lapping is all uniform.

Do the same to the cylnder.

You will want the final pattered of the head to be in the same direction as the finish pattern of the cylinder.

There is an important reason for this which I am not going to go into.

People will tell you to lap in a figure 8 pattern but this is not recommended. It is ok if your a lapping machine run by a computer but the human body cannot keep the head pressure consistant in the center with all those direction changes.

Great advice, very well explained.

i do figure 8's

That because you have bionic implants installed in your head and arms. This site is for full humans. you should not be here. Shut your self down.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You will want the final pattered of the head to be in the same direction

> as the finish pattern of the cylinder.

>

> There is an important reason for this which I am not going to go into.

What do you mean? Like the final sanding marks oriented in the same direction?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account