Re: Peugeot 103 ignition upgrade.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well actually the gap was bigger. I gapped it and it did run just a little better.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Well actually the gap was bigger. I gapped it and it did run just a

> little better.

Yea a new spark plug is like 1mm gapped

I'm still waiting for someone to answer Cheetahchromes question about having to hacksaw the original ignition after doing the Myron mod?

> Larry 969 Wrote:

> I'm still waiting for someone to answer Cheetahchromes question about

> having to hacksaw the original ignition after doing the Myron mod?

This might answer your question :

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/service/peugeot-ignition-upgrade/

I decided to just try hooking up a aftermarket coil to the bike with out doing the Myron Moped coil cut mod.

Clamped a good aftermarket coil to the frame and hooked an orange wire clip lead to the signal tab.

aftermarketcoilonPug002.JPG

Screwwed out my spark plug and clamped it to the head and clipped on the aftermarket plug wire so I could look for spark

aftermarketcoilonPug003.JPG

attached the other end of the orange clip lead to the blue wire coming out of the three wire rectifier.

aftermarketcoilonPug001.JPG

Then I pulled on my pull rope and whoh! I had spark like crazy. Thought I better go out and test ride it. Took it out to the porch and tried to start it but it would not even try to start. Gave it like 10 good pulls.

Then I bent down and removed the clip lead from the blue wire and reattached the stock plug boot and it starts right up.

Switch back to the aftermarket set up and NO START.

I pull the plug and reclamp it to the head and pull the rope and I have tons of spark. But the bike wont start.

Head scratching now.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I suppose I'm a bit dense, Mmm A bit confused... I'm about to order a flywheel puller right now. If I use the black Puch coil that I ordered and now have (Got some treats stickers too!) It will have spark but no brake lights? Ok, so that can be avoided by using an external coil? What I'm asking is what should I do next? External coil? New points (Has the originals)? New condenser(Original)? Summin else?

> I suppose I'm a bit dense, Mmm A bit confused... I'm about to order a

> flywheel puller right now. If I use the black Puch coil that I ordered

> and now have (Got some treats stickers too!) It will have spark but no

> brake lights? Ok, so that can be avoided by using an external coil? What

> I'm asking is what should I do next? External coil? New points (Has the

> originals)? New condenser(Original)? Summin else?

Maybe you should read :

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/service/peugeot-ignition-upgrade/

Josiah Radebaugh /

Done did.

make sure you are viewing the forum in "flat view" then re-read this thread again start to finish.

all the info is there and answers to your questions in order of them being asked.

Josiah Radebaugh /

It's in flat vew. I think I know what I need to do.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oh yeah, there is also a slight white powder looking stuff around the points as mentioned on myrons page. And when's my my fingers or the bike is wet (Like rain) There will be a tiny arc between my choke cable and frame. Also if I touch the headlight switch I get a small almost nothing tingle. I figure I might as well replace the condenser points and the ignition coil and added external coil fer brake lights and better spark.

> Oh yeah, there is also a slight white powder looking stuff around the

> points as mentioned on myrons page. And when's my my fingers or the bike

> is wet (Like rain) There will be a tiny arc between my choke cable and

> frame. Also if I touch the headlight switch I get a small almost nothing

> tingle.

None of that^ is copacetic .

I'd be checking/cleaning the whole system . Brake cleaner does a real nice job on electrical .

Josiah Radebaugh /

Aye. Ok, so treats is out of the Bosch Puch external coils. So should I wait or get one of those universal 12 volt 6 volt coils or the Olympia #2 er summin else.?

> Aye. Ok, so treats is out of the Bosch Puch external coils. So should I

> wait or get one of those universal 12 volt 6 volt coils or the Olympia

> #2 er summin else.?

From the Myron's page :

"What external coils will work? Any 1970’s or older moped or small motorcycle, with magneto and points ignition, external coil will work. More modern 1980’s and later CDI (capacitor discharge ignition) coils are too small. Car coils are too big. The best kind is the Bosch coil (transformer) used on Puch mopeds. The worst are certain generic India or China made ones, with a weaker spark."

Josiah Radebaugh /

Alright I'm just going to order the new points, condenser and flywheel puller then put the black coil in and try that. Once the Bosch coil is back in stock I'll order it if needed (assuming my brake light doesn't work with the black coil. At least that's how I understand it).

Why would lights have anything to do with the ignition coil , other than the supposed safety feature . And , even that should/can be simply redesigned to work like 'modern' systems .

Josiah Radebaugh /

I don't know. Chetachrome said "The black replacement coil does not allow for the brake light function. You will no longer have a brake light." So.... It doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure he know more that I do. I'm just trying to get a final definite answer. Want it stock as possible but to work well or better. External coil or not?

I don't blame you for the way you want it . I'd likely be very close to the same .

Even using the black coil , there should be a way to have all lights working .

There is a lighting coil at the bottom of the stator . I don't know what the output of that coil is , but I would think it or a replacement would supply enough juice .

Josiah Radebaugh /

I don't know. But I'm going to get the points n' condenser and flywheel puller and put in the black coil then see what happens.

@PD. The stock ignition coil has its backside ground wire running out the back of the stator plate and up the frame, through both brake levers to a grounding lug in the headlight bucket. There is also a black wire running parallel off this ground wire going directly back to the brake light bulb.

Squeeze either of the two brake levers and the ground path is broken. The coil then searches for the path of least resistance to a ground which is now the brake light bulb which now magically lights.

This is also the supposed safety feature you mentioned. If the brake bulb is burned out the coil can find no ground and the spark stops till you let go of the lever resuming the ground.

Thanks for that^ Cheeta .

I can see how the system works , it's the why that's baffling . Other than an indicator of the brake bulb being out .

This brake light design is really good in that it uses the extra current made by the ignition to illuminate the brake light instead of leaching power from the Head/tail coil causing a dip in those illuminations when you apply the brakes.

Run your brake any other way and you also have to replace your brakelight switches with the other type.

All the aftermarket replacement ignition coils simply dont have the backside grounding/brake feature.(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ahh. So I NEED an external coil for the black one.

No. The black one will do just what you want it to do except power your old brake light circuit.

If you can't tap the back side of the coil why not tap and split the lead going into the coil and run that to the brake switches it should all work the same it's not going to use the coil to run the light bulb should be no problem.

Instead coil lead will go through the light bulb then to the coil when the brake is applied.

And you will still have the safety feature if the rear ball blows the engine will die when the brake is applied and you don't need to buy new switches.

If your condenser is bad and not suppressing the voltage Spike that might blow the tail light out but other than that I don't see any problem.

But I think your real problem is you just have a bad ground which happens a lot on 103 s you need a nice Flex ground lead coming from the engine case to the frame and headlight bucket.

That will stop the tingling and Spark off the choke cable obviously that's an indication of a bad ground or weak connection.

So your saying split the lead wire that goes to the points and run it to a ground via the brakelight circuit?

Good luck getting any spark from the coil doing that. You dont know what your talking about Neil.

Works on my 103 just fine.

All you got to do is take the ht

power lead from the stator split it into 2 leads.

Wire one lead through both of the switches then to the HT coil power input connection.

The frame is now the ht ground.

The other lead will go through the tail light and to the HT coil power input connection.

When the brake is applied the power will bypass the switches and the power will go through the brake light bulb then power the HT coil.

It's not rocket science man it's just wiring 101

Can you draw a simple schematic to help show how this wiring would run?

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> Can you draw a simple schematic to help show how this wiring would run?

You're either joking or trolling me.

I think the rest of the crowd can figure it out.

Thanks then

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account