Peugeot 103 ignition upgrade.

Josiah Radebaugh /
Peugeot-Ignition-Upgrade-Display-Board.jpg
puch-peugeot-internal-coil-2.jpg

So it has been brought to my attention that the stock ignition on my Peugeot may be failing. sooo... What are some fairly simple and cheap way's to upgrade the original system?

I read on Myrons page about using an external coil with the original coil, also there is the method of using a Puch internal coil with an external coil. What would be the best option other than a CDI?

Re: Peugeot 103 ignition upgrade.

Other than CDI this is the best method. I’ve done this Puch set up with great results. Myron’s guide is spot on for doing this, I had no problems. Although I would buy an OEM ignition coil instead of that Treats one.

Josiah Radebaugh /

My queston is, is there a way to do it without an external coil? It seems a bit simpler to do it with just an internal coil. Because I'm not to electric savy.

No you need the external coil.

that second picture of the new internal combination HT coil : https://www.treatland.tv/puch-peugeot-103-internal-ignition-coil-p/puch-peugeot-internal-coil.htm works great as a replacement for your failing coil.

you could mount your condenser externally to help it stay cool and for easy access if you need to replace it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I still have to use an external for confirmation. What'd be a good one?

if you have a 2-coil stator , then that combination primary/HT coil is a direct replacement and you do not need an external coil.

it has a spark plug terminal on the back, you just twist your plug wire right into it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ok, so I'll order that coil from treatland. I'm sure I'll need help with something at some point with it when it's here.

But as for now thanks!

I put one on a Sachs 505, worked great without an external coil. Uses a smaller ignition wire though, I was able to shave the insulation down and get the standard wire (6-7mm?) to screw in securely, I then sealed the junction with heat-shrink tubing.

Thierry Marseille /

Hello

And WHY you don't change it by the same original part ?

for less 20 box

https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-points-internal-coil-p/peugeot-internal-coil.htm

Rgds

Thierry.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I really like swapping out the stock internal HT coil for a puch ignition coil and separate HT. Instantly fixes your issue and creates great spark.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Because it is out of stock.

I have the stock 5 coil ignition from my tsm if your interested, otherwise get that partie cdi from treats, its magic

I have a 1978 103 and i replaced my failing coil for the black one at the top of the thread, direct replacement nearly and ran well easy to wire up , i ended up putting a cdi kit on it though and its much more reliable i just couldnt get on with points too fiddly for me.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well I'm going to order that black Puch/Peugeot coil at some point today. I'm probably going to have to get new points at some point, but that can wait.

Josiah Radebaugh /

My stuff came in but I now realize that I didn't order a flywheel puller. So can I use a gear puller?

I wouldn't use a Jaw type puller, you risk warping the flywheel

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391890132198

I know there is sellers in the USA the can get to u faster. Some thing and treats sells for way cheaper

The black replacement coil does not allow for the brake light function. You will no longer have a brake light.

I have to wonder What is the reason for hacksawing the OEM coil?

Doesn't the brown wire from the old condenser become the new external coils feed/signal?

I see that Myron says that if the secondary winding are not deleted they could cause misfiring. Misfiring how? The winding no longer communicate to the spark plug. That is the job of the new external coils hi tension cable.

HMMMMMMMM.(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

So do I need an external coil or not? If so what'll work good. If prefer to order from treatland since I'm ordering a flywheel puller.

If you get the black 103 replacement internal coil thats all you will need it will run fine coupled with a new condenser (i left mine internal as stock and also put a new set of points in).

Josiah i was in the same position as you 2 years ago the bike would not fire up its a known fault and the reason so many were probably left in garages to gather dust the original coils fitted to 103's are all shot by now and develop the weak or no spark issue keep it stock and it will be fine with the 18 dollar treats internal coil replacement, when i replaced mine it fired up and ran great with the first kick!!! Just ensure you take your time with making sure the condensor and points are wired correctly.

> simon judd Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Josiah i was in the same position as you 2 years ago the bike would not

> fire up its a known fault and the reason so many were probably left in

> garages to gather dust the original coils fitted to 103's are all shot

> by now and develop the weak or no spark issue keep it stock and it will

> be fine with the 18 dollar treats internal coil replacement, when i

> replaced mine it fired up and ran great with the first kick!!! Just

> ensure you take your time with making sure the condensor and points are

> wired correctly.

No punctuation , but for the last period . I suppose you want people to try reading that gibberish .

WAIT WAIT WAIT!! I just went back and read the original post. You said you fear your stock coils may be going out soon?!? You mean your original ignition is working but you want to tear it all out because you FEAR that it could go out soon?

That is like when you clean up your garage and you throw away a quart of oil because it's old.

Don't stare out of a window at your bike on a cloudy day for fear of rain.

All of the replacement internal coils suggested here lack the floated ground wire feature that would normally power your brake lights. Yes you will want brake lights the day after you install the aftermarket internal coil and the bike runs.

Now to get brake lights back you have to leach power from your Red head light wire, replace both your brake light switches, Eliminate the grounding wire in the headlight and route that wire back down the frame to your black brake light wire.

Then when your all done it sucks because the brake light causes the headlight to dim when you apply the levers.

To cure that you start fucking with LED tailights but those want to blow cause the need a diode installed to soften the AC wave.

It's a whole fuck storm of things you have to do that is called the moped hobby that is best experienced by just trying to learn to make all of your stock features work correctly at first and understand why they behave the way they do.

I have found over the years maybe 2 Peugeot stock ignitions that were bad. I try to run the stock points sets on all the bikes I refurbish for sale.

By the way does your bike start and run now?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ok my current situation right now with it is: Aboot a month ago it was sounding like it was four stroking up to a certain rpm/speed. But at the same time it was running lean. Well after I got the carburetor situation fixed it still sounded like it was four stroking. Someone pointed out that if the ignition is failing it would be misfiring. Ok, sounds reasonable. So I orderdered the black ignition coil replacement from treatland as I said after reading myrons page and this thread. But now I am being told I might need an external coil too. And if I don't use the external coil I won't have a brake light. Right now is runs as it always has. It starts first kick almost every time. Sounds like it fourstrokes up to a certain rpm/speed. Idles pretty good, stutters a bit at idle. So where does that leave me? I'm sure there's something I'm missing here.

Assuming you have the stock Gurter carb and air box installed, your four stroke issue could be coming from your choke not coming off all the way.

The choke lever or cable linkage on the back of the carb can often get bent or be rubbing on the rim of the airbox.. With your side covers off, Reach in and pull the choke linkage cable stop out of the choke lever fork so that you can then check for full range of travel of the choke lever ans you can feel that the choke spring is indeed acting on the lever.

When confident you have full travel you can eliminate the choke as cause of this 4 stroke.

gurtnerchoke001.JPG

If you think the bike is running lean well then you should screww out your main jet from the side of the carb and make certain that it is completely clean.

You do not have to remove your carb to get at the main jet.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well the chokes not the problem. I just had a thought... Could the the spark plug have anything to to with it? It's a NKG BH7S I never gapped it because I didn't know what it was and forgot to look.

probably not but it's the easiest to do. Most of those plugs are right at 0.4 right out of the box

New spark plugs should always be checked for proper gap .

Hopefully they have been handled with the utmost care , but , we know better .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account