Damn NC50 lost spark all of a sudden

Jack Rutherford /
IMG_5513.jpg

It was running fine and then, Poof!, no more spark. I had put a different spark plug boot on it to replace the lawn mower boot PO had put on it and it was working fine. When I suspected no more spark, I took the boot off the plug and the innards of the boot spilled out. Ok, no problem, get new boot. New boot - still no spark. Should I just dump these points and get new ones?

Re: Damn NC50 lost spark all of a sudden

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Try to get as much rust & dust out of there & then drag some 600 wet or dry & then 800 thru the points. Then drag some white paper thru them till they come thru 'clean'. Check all your grounds or any elec connection that looks suspect or better yet a continuity check on the wiring to see if you have a bad connection.

What a mess .

Definitely clean the points and you might want to put a drop or so of lube on the point pivot . If it has a cam wick , lube that too .

While you have the sand paper , polish the coil ends .

What does the inside of the flywheel look like ? Might as well polish that , too .

Jack Rutherford /

flywheel looked like shit. I had another one that I popped on that was in much better shape.

on off switch?

Jack Rutherford /

could be. The PO also bypassed the ignition system so I've got a new ignition cylinder on order.

Jack Rutherford /

She's a runner once again. Changed the flywheel. Change the spark plug and boot. Cleaned and gapped the points and bingo! Nice blue sparky.

took it on its maiden voyage and it died 4 blocks later. Brought it back. changed the spark plug and we were in business again. Took it for a 15 minute ride and realized I was fogging the 'hood. Got back - trans oil was fine. Must be something in that exhaust I bought off eBay.

Jack Rutherford /

Yeah, I'm burning oil from the transmission or I must be. Good Gawd! I hate dealing with that left side seal.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account