Batavus HS-50 Motor Swap

Chance Campbell /

I just bought a 1977 Batavus HS-50 with a nice solid frame. Unfortunately, there are a few things I didn't know about before buying it. Its missing a decent amount of parts from the engine and in is the 20mph motor.

I'm considering swapping the engine to make parts easier to find and to boost power a bit. Does anyone have any experience with this? What engine would best for the frame? And where should I get an engine, off of a another bike from craigslist?

Thanks in advance

Re: Batavus HS-50 Motor Swap

Chance Campbell /

I found a Puch maxi and a jawa near me for sale. Would either of these be good for a swap? Or perhaps a tomos or sachs?

tomos and puch are easy motors to work on and the highest in parts availability. sachs and jawa are more difficult. The second point is gear ratios - puch and especially tomos have bigger front gears which makes chain clearance a lot easier.

all of these will require cutting out all of the batavus mounts and welding in the new mounts. If you want to ruin the original frames, you can cut the whole mount outta the puch or tomos, or just make mounting tabs.

we really oughtta write up a wiki on this...

to be honest, the best bet would be to just get the tomos or puch and leave them as-is rather than swap an engine to the batavus potentially ruining both bikes.

if you really want that top tank look, you could probably just modify your batavus tank to fit on the other bikes MUCH more easily than modifying the other engines to the batavus frame.

then you got a running bike while you piece together and upgrade the HS50 maybe.

HS50 is a really difficult bike to modify but can be pretty excellent in mostly stock mode, up to 25-30mph

Alberto Einsteiner /

I found a picture of one with the V1 on it it looks like it's been converted to a hard tail but it looks pretty sweet.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

^ shit that's really good

that's a classic motomatic, they killed it. really solid builds

here's an in-progress shot of all the welding for the mounts:

I think they basically cut the whole swingarm and engine out of the hs50 entirely and built or swapped the engine mounts section from a v1 bike.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

look at the colibre sub frames for a tomos a35 it looks alot easier than most modds i am considering this as a cure for the bativii blues. the mono shock is the rub...

Chance Campbell /

Is the caliber subfames the '94 ones or the '93? And what do you mean by the monoshock? And how would it interfere?

There's a 94' sprint for sale near me so I want jump on it if it's the right engine/bike

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account