sachs 505 engine

doug gardner /

How do you get that gear off the crank that holds the clutch on, mine is tight.

Re: sachs 505 engine

Uhhhh.... What? Picture please.

oh you mean the little spline piece?

it can be a real bitch. sometimes you can use like a spark plug socket over the crank arm and smack it actually IN a few times to loosen it up. sometimes grabbing the basket with pliers and working each side trying to tug it out you can get it off.

unlike basically every other bike ever, it's not on a taper, so you should just be able to slide it out. if it's stuck, smacking it IN might bust it loose. also if you can grab it an turn it while the crank is fixed (rope in the cylinder as piston stop or hold the ignition side) that can get it loose. if it's super stuck you might just have to split the cases, which honestly isn't that big a deal. it seems intimidating but can be easily done in an afternoon.

Side note: don't use a standard piston stop in a sachs. it can fucks shit up bc angle plug.

I'm referring to #18, I think that's what you're referring to. all the same actually applies too if you're referring to the bell/basket #23 except that's gotta twist out vs the angle cut gear on the back. If the wheel can spin or chain's off tho you can just grab the tines of the bell and wiggle it out tugging alternating sides. If you mean the nut #12, you just need to hold the crank stopped and remove it as you would any nut.

doug gardner /

Yea number 18 it is tight and i dont wanna messit up

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

dont some people put a set screw in the splined guy (#18) to keep it from spinning freely or something? Is it a stock bike?

doug gardner /

Yes it is stock .i just want to get it off

That setscrew was a thing I came up with forever ago, because back then the thing people always talked about was how the clutch nuts always back off on kitted bikes. It's a real thing, or it can be, people were even welding the nuts on and just accepting that in a few months when the clutch was toast I dunnno? fuckit? So I just put a setscrew in there basically cuz it's way easier than a setscrew in the nut, and same effect. it worked great but anymore I'm of the opinion it's unnecessary - everything since I've just double nutted the clutch on, some brake cleaner and Loctite. no issues. or at least no issues with the nut backing off...

regarding 18, you wont mess it up. tryn tap it in to knock it a lil loose or spin it with the crank held steady. tugging on the bell behind it can help get it moving, or if all else fails grab it with vice grips and yoink. if you do damage it it'll be minor grooves and you can file it smooth again, but it's hard steel - you wont easily damage it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account