‘79 50v. Bought it a year and a half ago in pristine shape. Sat in a basement forever unused. Seller got it started right up. Very shortly after I bought it, it ended up seizing the piston. Guessing too lean was the issue. I pulled the engine after that and started to dismantle for a rebuild. Then I moved.....
Finally a year later I dove back in. Replaced everything. All seals. Bearings. Needle bearings. Gaskets. New piston rings with a good used block and matching piston. Original Gurtner carb. Fully disassembled and rebuilt with new guts. All my parts have come from treats. Fully derusted the tank. What a bitch. I have container with 250ml of rust in it. New petcock. Online fuel filter. New belt. New plug. Points adjusted and cleaned. Timing set at 1.7 BTDC.
Took it outside this afternoon. Started right up first try. Was pumped. But it will not idle to save my life. I took it for a 5 mile ride and I have to keep tapping the gas to keep it alive when I’m stopping/stopped. Runs smooth and hits 35 mph downhill ;)
Idle screw makes no difference. I’ve sprayed carb cleaner everywhere while the throttle is held open slightly. No change in rpms at all. Don’t think I have any air leaks anywhere.
Over the course of this engine rebuild I’ve read a ton on mobys and just not sure what the best thing I should try tracing down is at this point. I’m not sure if it’s my carb but like I said I fully stripped and cleaned it out. I suppose an idle passage could be blocked again. Maybe I’ll make that my first thing to pull apart.