Kickstarter problems Urban NU50M

Captain Janeway /

Trying to sort out why my bike takes so many kicks to start up, like 7 or 8.

Have spark and even changed plugs. Bike runs great once it's running.

I do turn bike off at night to avoid any draining on floor. I've had two different carbs on it and same multiple kick problem with each.

My other bikes will start on one kick.

Ideas?

Re: Kickstarter problems Urban NU50M

those have a complicated automatic vacuum assisted choke system. It may be that it just take awhile to work right, but it's confusing and difficult to repair. check leaks on the weird hoses going off the carb (and mark them so you can put them back correctly)

Basically it's a little bimetalic plate that pops one way or the other based on heat, and engages or disengages the choke, sounds like your choke's stuck disengaged.

Jack Rutherford /

you've probably tried this but all my urbans with stock carb require me to give it a little throttle as i kick it when cold to start.

Captain Janeway /

It's actually running a SHA carb. Lever start. No auto choke system used on this one.

Oops. That would have been useful info for y'all.

My other bikes are stock and no problem with them.

are your other bikes also urbans?

She has 4 of them. Potentially low compression? Is it only hard to cold start? Or only hot? Both? Do you have any better luck with or without the choke?? (edited)

Captain Janeway /

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> She has 4 of them.

She's lost her mind. lol! Love my girls.

So the same issue persists even if the carbs are switched, and once running, there are no other issues? That's a good one... If it's not a traditional air leak, here are my shots in the dark:

• Is the kickstarter gear lined up correctly? I'm talking about that one that drives the gear on the crank; I've had that slip out of alignment before so that the part without teeth rotated to the part that should have them. But it felt wrong when kicking, so you'd probably have fixed it already if that was it.

• Rings shot? A little pressure could be creeping by, which might not be as noticeable when riding.

• And it fires on every stroke? Like, the CDIs not crapping out every few charges with a weak pulse?

I've have this happen, but it's always kick-start-assembly related. You talk to the pro about this one?

Captain Janeway /

Yes to both carbs, but it's worse with the SHA

Yes, kickstarter gears move smoothly and they've been aligned other time while tuning weights

The rings only have maybe a 1000 on them. New kit. Don't remember it happening quite as much before.

CW doesn't have a really good idea for it either.

The bike's loud because of the carb, but it will hit 50+ (doesn't matter to me). Pulls off the line well, no 4 stroke, runs great at low and top end. This kickstarting thing's the only problem.

If I can get the electric start going it will be a non-issue, but it bugs me that I can't figure it out.

If it's running well once it starts, I'm thinking it's a vacuum leak with the bypass valve. I've had the same issue many times with them. Since you can get it running and it runs well, I'm assuming you don't have a blocked muffler. Will it start with a spray of starter fluid?

If its cold and you take out the spark plug, and then kick it over, are you getting fuel into chamber?

I ended up taking the bypass valve off and usually found the gasket wasn't perfect. I resealed it with gasket maker or just wrapping it tight with silicon tape. Check and replacing all the hose to the carb, and getting new clamps for them have helped too.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the nonstock carb though.

Captain Janeway /

Had a talk with CW last night and it may be because of vent hole he put in the carb. Misunderstood him when I was talking to him about choke lever that wouldn't stay down. He gave me something to look for next time I have it open.

Jack Rutherford /

how did you end up mounting the sha anyway?

Captain Janeway /

^^

A Crazy Wayne original. Unfortunately he couldn't get it more to the side so I could get on a quiet airbox. Finally got ahold of him and he told me what the problem probably is. Just too lazy to pull it right now to fix it. Got the electric start going so at least I don't have to keep kicking. Will pull it to fix though

Jack Rutherford /

alright picture is in order then of the CW original, I gots to know.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account