boiling bearings

Hi all. Have you ever heard of boiling your bearings before you put them on your crankshaft? I saw a guy on youtube do it, but it did not specify what oil to use. He just used a regular saucepan. My first idea was to use veggie oil, but don't think that would work in an automotive setting, as it is will degrade, and holds moisture, thus rusting. What oil would one use in such instance? Could this be the "pre-oiling" of the bearings everyone speaks of before they reseal the case? Thank you!

Re: boiling bearings

fried bearings anyone?

The reason for heating bearings in oil is so that the whole thing is heated evenly and you have less risk of melting the plastic retainers vs just throwing the bearing in the oven. You would probably want to use motor oil. It would have the added benefit of lubricating the bearings, but it's not what people mean when they say pre-oiling bearings.

my approach has always been to just heat em directly. it's easier and cleaner. once theyre hot you can pop em onto the crank easily.

This happened to me after reading Wills book. I didn't see the chapter about gloves.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Ouch !!!

you must wear gloves cheetah, your skin like baby skin.

Last time I did one I put the crank in the freezer overnight. A lot easier on the fingers

Richard Eberline /

couple pie or a cake pan(s) and a heat gun. Some better heat guns have a

dial setting. No flames at all, no torch.

put part in the freezer for 10 minutes.

pair of gloves and wipe the shaft with wd-40

The bearing will slide on, but I have a pipe the right size and ID

on standby.

I always freeze the crank and heat the bearings in a toaster oven. A whole lot easier, safer, and quicker than boiling oil.

i have a good will hot plate that has a socket sitting on it, you rest the inner race of the bearing on the socket, or set the cases on the hot plate.

it gets up to like 300 and has a temp controller so its perfect

but 9/10 times i'm just impatient and i blast it with a mapp torch... that trigger start jam is just too easy

Richard Eberline /

read my first post.

Never use a the Flame of a torch.

Inductive heat, Graham, from

a 30 year journeyman Millwright.

You are one of a few that do this wrong with a flame.

Google this, if you are a non believer.

I know y’all’ve seen the microwave trick?

the old mechanic trick is just putting them in the oven on like 300-350 it works well without the mess and smell.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account