Peugeot 103 Float problems. Again.

Josiah Radebaugh /

A wile back I had asked about the original float having a leak. So I bought a new-ish one. I removed the old float and put in the new float. Put more gas in the tank and then tried to start it. It usually starts within 2-5 kicks but this time I kicked about 20 times, nothing. I tried pedaling it down my driveway to start it, nothing. I checked for spark and all was good. So I removed the fuel line and opened the petcock to verify fuel flow and there was. So I decided to remove the entire carbeuetor to check things out, once off I blew into the fuel IN and there was no air flow. I removed the top of the bowl and the carbeuetor was dry.If I remove the float there is no problem with air or liquid passing through but as soon as I put the float back in it acts as if the float it stuck in the closed position allowing nothing past. So do any of you know what's happening here?

Re: Peugeot 103 Float problems. Again.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Make sure the pointy tip of the needle points to the top of the carb.(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

Yeah I thought about that, the pointy but is at the top. Wouldn't that be funny, "oh its upside down"!

With the carb off the bike you should be able to shake the carb and hear/feel the float moving up and down. If not you need to figure out what is resricting the float movement.

Could be the floats perch pocket could be full of crap and holding the needle too high.

gurtnercarbfloat1272018002.JPG
gurtnercarbfloat1272018003.JPG

also with your bowl cover off the carb hook it directly to your fuel source and make sure that fuel flows out through the needle seat.

Same issue with all of the Gurtners with the plastic float

- if the needle (brass on brass) has any little blemish, scratch or tiny bit of dirt the carb will weep

- if the float is too low on the brass rod it will not allow fuel into the bowl

Congrats - looks like you have one of each.

Polish the tip of the original float if there is a blemish

OR

Carefully adjust the float height

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Same issue with all of the Gurtners with the plastic float

>

> - if the needle (brass on brass) has any little blemish, scratch or tiny

> bit of dirt the carb will weep

>

> - if the float is too low on the brass rod it will not allow fuel into

> the bowl

>

> Congrats - looks like you have one of each.

>

> Polish the tip of the original float if there is a blemish

>

> OR

>

> Carefully adjust the float height

Not sure if it would apply , but , Keihin carbs for the big Hondas have a similar problem . Only it's the float needle seat that usually presents issues . The needles have rubber tips and can also be bad .

Anyway , we polish the seats with Q tips and Brasso , or the like , until they have a mirror shine . That generally solves the weeping .

Josiah Radebaugh /

Alright, so I cleaned the float perch pocket and there was fuel flow from the float cover. I also polished the needle and adjusted the float height and there was no difference one everything was put back together. Any more ideas?

Dip a drinking straw into a gas can then cover the end with your finger to lift the straw full of gas. Transfer the straw to your open spark plug hole and load the cylinder with this little bit. Install plug then peddle like mad ans see if you get some pops and farts.

Josiah Radebaugh /

So I put fuel in the clyender (carb off) put the spark plug back in and pedaled like mad as you said, decompression untouched and nothing no pop bang or smoke. So I removed the spark plug checked for spark. And the spark wasn't constant. It was sort off on or none at all. So condenset, dirty points?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ok, I take that back I do have spark. I had to ground it better on the head. Still no pops.

Also there is some black liquid coming from my exauat when I pedal it over.(edited)

ill sell u a working og pug carb w filter for 25 shipped, main jet need to be soldered n drilled, or better yet buy a dellorto clone off fleabay, just have to get rhe right shim. pm if your interested. i throw in a new plug sunce yours is fouled.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Alright so I figured out the problem. You all mentioned the float perch being dirty which I didn't think was the problem at first. The float cover had fuel flow and the float was all good. I remembered that a have a second carbeuetor that I bought off Dusty Rim awhile back just to have the float mainly, so i compared the two and realized that the extra carb I could see to the bottom of the float perch but mine I couldnt. So I sprayed some WD-40 into the bowl and cleaned the hole with a tiny drill bit. So it turned out that all the fuss was caused because of some dry rust powder in the bottom of the bowl! I will need to buy a spark plug though. Thanks all!

Excellent

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Alright so I figured out the problem. You all mentioned the float perch

> being dirty which I didn't think was the problem at first. The float

> cover had fuel flow and the float was all good. I remembered that a have

> a second carbeuetor that I bought off Dusty Rim awhile back just to have

> the float mainly, so i compared the two and realized that the extra carb

> I could see to the bottom of the float perch but mine I couldnt. So I

> sprayed some WD-40 into the bowl and cleaned the hole with a tiny drill

> bit. So it turned out that all the fuss was caused because of some dry

> rust powder in the bottom of the bowl! I will need to buy a spark plug

> though. Thanks all!

Hooray! He never did actually say that he got the ped running lol.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oh yeah forgot about that part! Yes it does run again, actually seems to run better I suppose due to me completely taking the carb apart and cleaned everything. So all is good.

It's all about the small victories.! Be sure to install an inline filter and as a precaution, shut your fuel flow off at the petcock when you're not using the moped. If your float needle and seat don't match perfectly, it'll weep fuel into your crank case over time and flood the engine. You'll be scratching your head again with confusion.

HaPpY wReNcHiNg..!!

Thanks! Mine was indeed upside down lol

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account