Engine siezed, I think.

Ryan Samuelsen /

I just picked up Batavus Regency over the weekend. Laura M56 engine. Rode it around for about an hour with a few stops in between. After a while, while I was riding with the throttle open, the engine just stopped. I had been having issues with idling, but as long as it was moving it had been fine. I pulled off to the side of the road and tried to get it started again but was getting enough resistance on the pedals that the pedal's starting chain was actually jumping teeth on the gear. I walked it home and it sat for a day and I tried again. Same issue.

Does this sound like a seize? If so, can the engine be save, or do I have to start shopping for a replacement?

Before people start shitting on the M56....Yes, I am aware that it is widely considered to be an "inferior" engine and that some people have successfully replaced it with other engines. I don't have access to the tools to fab up new engine mounts, so I'd like to know if there is anything I can do for this model. If anyone has leads for another M56, I'd be interested in that as well.

Thanks

You must log in before posting to this forum.

Click here to login.